Song Choices

Cara

       It was now Saturday and I nervously paced back and forth, waiting for the doorbell to ring.

"Expecting someone?" inquired my brother.

"Me? Of course not," I chuckled sardonically. "It's not like it's a Saturday and our band members are supposed to be coming here today for band practice."

He took another spoonful of cereal flakes from the bowl and nonchalantly carried on like he hadn't asked me anything.

Still walking around, I continued contemplating on Ashton's suggestion to sing 'Ignorance' or 'Playing god' for the performance, when the sudden sharp sound of the doorbell made me put all my thoughts aside.

I absentmindedly rushed towards the door, half expecting Ashton to greet me with a bone crushing hug that would land me in the Hospital. No joke, he was that buff.

"So I thought about it, and I decided to sing 'Ignorance'...but wait, 'Playing god' might be better and--oh!"

I stopped halfway, looking at the tall blonde boy who looked at me like I was out of my mind.

"Umm that's great?" the boy replied unsurely.

"Yeah...sorry. I thought you were Ashton,"' I replied drily, trying to avoid his gaze. "But come in I guess."

As he came in, he examined the interior of the house and said, "You know, I could have been some freaky psycopath in front of your door step and I would've been able to enter your house."

"Oh my! You're right, Lucas." I covered my mouth with my hand and faked a gasp. "Although, I think I may have just let one in right now."

He laughed softly, following it with no comment. I closed the door behind the two of us and walked away, signalling for him to come with me.

"I haven't heard you say Lucas in a long time." He raised his eyebrow. "People usually say Luke."

I rolled my eyes. "Like it makes any difference. Oh wait, it does. I added 'ass' to your name because that perfectly describes what you are."

"Really? I thought you added 'ass' to my name because that's something I got," he said. I turned to him, but no sign of cockiness was shown and I thought it to be suspicious.

"Keep dreaming."

When I led him to the garage, the first thing he did was carefully place his guitar case against the wall, trying to balance it for a good thirty seconds.

No one spoke and the sound of the case of the guitar sliding back and forth wasn't a pleasing sound to hear.

"Michael's still inside, eating," I informed him with this backup excuse to leave. "I should probably call him now."

I had already reached the end of the room when Luke spoke.

"Don't you want to talk?" he asked quietly.

"Isn't that what we've been doing for the past few minutes?" I responded with the same volume. The only reason he'd ever want to talk to me is because he needed something, a favor.

"I know, but let's get to know each other more. What do you think?" He bit his lower lip. "I mean, we're band mates, right?"

Where was he trying to get with this?

"I think we know one another well enough."

I was ready to leave him this time. He was wasting my time with talk that would lead to nowhere.

"Please," he insisted, almost like he was pleading for me to stay.

I didn't understand why he was doing this. All of a sudden he wanted me to be there? He wanted my company?