Frozen Peas and a Forgotten Apology

Luke

     Calum wasn't wrong when he said that I wasn't proud.

And that's because I was more than proud.

And I detested myself for that.

Here I was, in front of Cara's doorstep, unwilling to apologize. But then again, I'd have to say sorry eventually, right? Or I could just walk away casually.

"Yes?" a motherly figure opened the door. But when she saw my face, her own had dropped. "Oh, are you one of Cara's or Michael's friends?" she stared at me icily.

I couldn't answer right away. I was busy contemplating whether or not Cara and I were even friends. If I told her mom that we were, Cara had the power to deny.

Michael, on the other hand, was out of the question.

"An acquaintance of Cara," I told her, finally making up my mind.

"Alright, I'll call her. What's your name again?" she glared as she questioned me.

I smiled.

"Ashton."

She nodded, then shut the door with such force, that if I hadn't been careful, my gloriously slightly bruised face could've been injured.

Then the door opened again. This time, Cara was there, and she looked at me just as her mother did. The resemblance was scary.

"I always thought Ashton had brown hair," she spoke with scarcely any trace of enthusiasm.

"Apparently, he dyed it blonde."

She rolled her eyes. "Oh wait. I can't talk to you right now, Ashton because I made a deal with someone," she glowered. "Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go."

I began to sweat as her hand reached for the doorknob. She began to close the door then I put my hand in between.

And now my throbbing hand hurt as I pulled it out.

"Ow, ow," I held my hand in pain.

She looked at me, as if expecting to hear more. As if my soon-to-be swollen hand wasn't enough to earn her pity.

"Stop. I'm going to tell you something but can we do it somewhere more private?" I said, looking around to see if anyone was watching. Because if someone were, then that would be terrible for me.

She took one look at me, then closed the door.

I stood there alone, looking like some rejected suitor.

But maybe she'd open the door again? Maybe if I waited a bit longer....

So I sat down on her doorstep. As weird as it sounds, I actually did it. At least instead of looking like a rejected suitor, I looked like an overgrown kid on a time out, which wasn't any better anyway.

I waited for a while longer, until a thought popped in my head.

What if her dad came? He'd probably tell me to get lost and then congratulate his daughter for kicking me out. I could just imagine that happening already, so I stood up and decided to go home.

I had my back turned against the house, when all of a sudden, the door opened.

"Well, look who decided to come back," I turned around with a smirk.

"Luke?" Cara's brother frowned.

"Michael?" I said aloud.

At that moment, I wanted to puke.