Chapter 1: A Figure In the Cold

The stars were lined with tears. The full moon was shrouded by thick black clouds which stretched and grew like a ravenous beast. Even the wind seemed to whisper one word; failure.

A lone fairy stood, overlooking a valley filled completely with smoke. He could see the tongues of fire lapping greedily at the sky, but he did not care. All of fairydom had to pay for making him this way, for cursing him. They could watch their precious world fall apart around them and know that they had brought it upon themselves. They deserved it.

He turned away and began to walk back down the side of the hill, turning his back one last time on the valley he'd once called home, fully intending to keep walking and never look back. But then, he paused. Out of the silence, he could hear his name being called, but the real question was who would be daring enough...or dumb enough...to chase after him?

He whipped around as a second fairy charged up behind him, her wings fluttering uselessly behind her and her breaths short and ragged. "Stop!" she screamed. She was covered in soot from head to toe and had somehow managed to survive the explosions. "What have you done?"

"What I had to," he spat. "I should have been respected for what I did, not cast aside because a few pitiful fairies were afraid of what I can do! And if you think I care who I hurt, think again. I don't need you...or anyone else...telling me what to do!"

"I don't believe that!" she fired back. She took a step toward him. "And neither do our friends!"

"Stay away from me!" he hissed, raising a hand in front of him as if he was planning to blast her. She hesitated. "You know nothing about me!"

"Enlighten me, then!" she shouted back.

"I'm the Protector! My job is to keep Pixie Hollow safe from evil. But what happens when I am that evil? Who stops me then? You?" He laughed. "You never had what it took to face me until now. And why is that?"

"Because I hoped you'd change!" came the retort. "But I can see now how wrong I was! You won't become good and you certainly cannot rule Pixie Hollow! So you leave me no choice! I have to banish you from Pixie Hollow!" She lifted a hand above her head and thrust it forwards. Black streaks of light seeped up from the grass, circling his legs and forcing him back away from the hill.

"Your pitiful magic tricks will never defeat me!" he hissed. Red lightning exploded from his hands and he matched the light blow for blow, slashing them to little bits, watching in satisfaction as they floated harmlessly to the earth. "You don't have the guts to do it." He took a step forward. She retreated a step, eyes widening fearfully. He saw this and grinned. "You're afraid," he jeered.

She narrowed her gaze to glare at him. "I'm not afraid," she retorted. "But I think you are."

He barked out a laugh. "Me? Afraid? And what might I be afraid of, pray tell? You? I hate to break it to you, C, but you really aren't that terrifying."

She scowled. "Enough of this! The time for your reign of terror is over!"

Lightning flashed overhead. The two fairies braced themselves for what was coming next. Light exploded from both of them and met halfway, smashing into dust. The sparrowman made the first move, lunging forward with ball of lightning forming between his hands. The girl jumped backward, out of the way, summoning up a wave of fire around her. "Stand down," the sparrowman spat.

"You first," she retorted. Then, in a split second, she reacted, swinging her arms around her head and thrusting them forwards. The fire leaped at her command, rushing towards her opponent like a raging tiger.