Chapter 6: Jekyll and Hyde

"Now, would one of you care to explain what you thought you were doing back there?"

Queen Clarion's voice was not filled with terror. This was the first thing Tink noticed as the three fairies filed into the large room inside the Pixie dust tree. Nor was it angry, not like Tink had expected her to be. She sounded more...disappointed...than anything. All eyes drifted to Bobble as he quietly stepped into the room behind them, nervously wringing his hands, gaze fixated firmly on the floor.

"Here," the Queen went on, gesturing to some chairs. "Sit. Please." She herself settled behind her royal desk and folded her hands, waiting patiently as the two tinkers obeyed. "Now--" she started again, only to be interrupted immediately by Tink.

"Queen Clarion! It wasn't his fault! Well, not really! He told us he couldn't control his powers but we didn't listen and...well...if you're going to punish anyone..." She took a deep breath. "Punish me."

Bobble glanced over at her in genuine surprise but she kept her gaze firmly fixed on Clarion who looked a bit taken aback at her boldness. "Tinker Bell--" the Queen began to speak.

"It was really my fault," Tink continued quickly, refusing to give the Queen a chance to get a word in edgewise, refusing to give her a chance to banish one of her best friends. "I knew what he could do. It's as much my fault as it is his and--"

"Tinker Bell," Clarion interjected before Tink could continue with her clear train wreck. "Please. Let me explain why I've asked the two of you here. Yes, I know of Phineas' powers. I've known from the start, in fact. It's no secret that he's a Protector."

" W-what? " Bobble stammered. "Y-ye knew? How?"

"I have been queen for a long time," Clarion answered him kindly. " I've seen all talents...including yours." She gave him a gentle smile.

"So...wait...you're not going to punish him?" Tink could barely believe their luck. Bobble looked up hopefully, still highly guiltily, but with a bit less fear. He wasn't about to be banished from Pixie Hollow and Tink could see him relax almost instantly.

Clarion glanced at them blankly. "Why would I?"

Um...ask that to Tinker's Nook which now looks like it had a flash flood. Tink couldn't help but be confused. She didn't want Bobble to get in trouble, of course, but there were still some things that needed to be addressed. Like, if the Queen knew about his powers the whole time, why did she never say anything? And why pretend like she didn't?

When neither tinker seemed able to answer, the Queen stood up and beckoned them to join her around a small sanded spruce table. "Come," she commanded gently. "It's all right. No need to be frightened. I'm not punishing you. I want to show you the true potential of a Protector."

Curious, as tinkers were prone to being, Tink and Bobble came to join her. Both still appeared a bit nervous, but the initial fear had vanished, replaced with an air of caution and curiosity.

"Phineas, put your hands on the table," Queen Clarion instructed.

He flashed her a confused look but did as he was told. As his hands touched the surface, a faint blue smoke began to rise from around the rim and the sunlight in the room dimmed. Tink started, feeling Bobble jerk back in shock as strange lights began to flash and shimmer from within the fog.

"This is the legend of the Protector of Pixie Hollow," Clarion explained. She waved a hand through the fog and the image of a full moon appeared on the surface. "It is an age-old tale dating back to the founding of Neverland. The first known Protector was Scarab, an Animal-talent. She discovered the secrets of Life and Death and ultimately, saved Pixie Hollow from destruction by her evil counterpart, Shade."