Chapter 17: You Didn't Think This Was The End...Did You?

5 days later...

Something was tapping loudly outside his window. The moon was shining, pouring in through the tinted glass, and a gang of fairies was waiting anxiously outside his door for the first word of change from the healing talents. They had stayed awake relentlessly, leaving only to sleep, or to eat. Even at night, they would take rotating shifts so that someone would always be awake in case he were to suddenly come around.

The other fairies began to notice this odd behavior, but when they approached to ask why everyone was there, they said Bobble had had a work-related injury. They decided to leave his powers a secret. It was what was best for him, and for the Hollow.

The leaders of their guilds understood the devotion they felt but had also decided that they needed their workers back to prepare for the oncoming winter season. Lord Malori gave Peri, Spike, and Gliss three days, and then they were to report back to the Frost Forest.

After all, Milori had said gently. If he hadn't responded within three days, there was a good chance that he wasn't going to.

They refused to believe that, but the three days came and went, and so the winter fairies sadly said farewell and headed home, only after being reassured by Tink that she would send a message just as soon as Bobble woke up.

The rest of them were given four more days, until the end of the week, and then they too would need to go home. They had reluctantly agreed, hoping that, by some miracle, he would be awake and waiting for them that day.

But it wasn't that day.

Or the next.

Finally, on the close of the fifth day, Rosetta awoke to find a healing talent sparrowman hurrying from Bobble's room. Straightening her dress, the garden-talent hurried over and demanded to know why he was in such a state.

"It's your friend, miss," he responded, handing his clipboard to one of the fairies at the entranceway. "He's awake."

Great news! Rosetta had almost done a twirl right then and there. She immediately rushed back to wake the others, never mind that it was almost midnight. When she told them what had happened, they were all instantly awake and thankful. They erupted into cheers so loud that they nearly got themselves kicked out.

"We can see him," Rosetta explained. "But only one at a time. He's not fully conscious of where he is just yet, and the last few minutes before he passed out are a bit fuzzy. Don't wanna alarm him, if you know what I mean."

"Tink should go first," Iridessa said, pushing the blond forward. "He did risk his life to save her after all. Maybe it would be reassuring to see that he succeeded."

The others nodded in agreement, so first thing the next morning, Tink put on a brave face and fluttered toward the door. The others watched her go hopefully. Silvermist held her breath as the tinker knocked softly on the door, and received a weak "Come in," in response.

She cracked the door just enough to slip in. The room was flooded with sunlight, and she found her friend lying in bed, blinking curiously in her direction as she entered. He wasn't wearing his goggles, so it was safe to assume he didn't know who had come. "Bobble?"

He knew her voice right away. "Miss Bell," he replied, the faintest trace of a smile sliding in between a grimace. He sunk further into his pillows and let out a noticeable sigh of relief. "How are ye feelin'?"

"Just fine." Tink walked slowly across the room. "Thank you." She wasn't thanking him for asking, but that was very clear to both of them. "The Queen told me what happened," she went on. "It was risky, doing what you did."