Chapter 2: Calm Before the Storm

"Owwww," Tink groaned as she slowly began to come around. The first thing she felt was the sheer coldness of the snow against her coat and mittens. The second thing was the pain that sparked through her body as she attempted to move. She heard frantic footsteps crunching through the snow toward her and she moaned, struggling to move as someone dropped to their knees beside her and she felt gentle hands on her shoulders.

"Splinters! Miss Bell, are ye all right?"

She recognized that voice almost immediately. "Bobble?" she groaned as she carefully opened her eyes and spotted her red-headed friend kneeling before her. He smiled softly, already moving to help her as she let out another tight groan.

"Here," he said, taking her hands and gently pulling her to her feet. "Ye should get out of the snow before ye freeze. What were ye doin' down there anyway?" He stared at her nervously as though he knew something that she didn't. She did not like that feeling one bit.

"That...that lightning," she said, dodging his question. "Did you see...where it came from?" She waved off to the forest behind them and her fellow tinker followed her gestures confusedly.

"'Lightnin'?'" he echoed, frowning. "What lightnin'?"

"The lightning that was just..." She trailed off, realizing how insane she must have sounded. The sky was clear. There wasn't a single storm cloud for miles around. "Never mind," she added quickly, looking down at her shoes and sighing. He'll just think I'm crazy. "That's so weird..."

"Tink," he said urgently, drawing her gaze back to him. "Are ye sure you're all right? Ye didn't hit your head or anythin', did ye?"

"No..." she said slowly. "I don't think so..." She looked around, still seriously confused. She was sure of what she'd seen, but it wasn't possible. So, how could she have seen it? There were no signs of a storm...not even a squall. And lightning did not just spawn out of nowhere. She tugged at her hair in irritation. "You haven't...seen anyone else around here, have you?" she questioned. "Any storm-talents by chance?"

"No. I can't say that I have. Tink, what's goin' on? You're actin'...odd."

"I don't know," she confessed. "But I plan to figure it out. Thanks, Bobble. I should be getting back to Tinkers' Nook. See you later." With that, she turned and flew off toward Autumn.

None of this makes sense, she told herself as she passed out of Winter and nimbly darted through the falling leaves of Autumn. I know what I saw. There was someone else there. And that someone hit me with lightning. But how? Bobble said he didn't see anyone. So, either he hit me with lightning...which is completely impossible...or whoever it was got away before he arrived.

She pulled out the book from Dewey, scanned it, and then sighed. Reading had never been her favorite past-time, but it looked like she wasn't going to have much of an option. Ugghh.

She found a fallen tree and dropped down onto the trunk to read. Taking a moment to catch her breath, she got her first good look at the book's cover. It was old. She ran a hand over it. Like, really old. There was no way Dewey could have written it. She opened the cover and read the carved date. 1839. That's almost two hundred years old, she realized with a jolt. How long has Dewey been holding on to this book? She turned the page over and read the first entry.

Dear Fairies of Pixie Hollow and the Great Winter,

If you have found this book, that means my spell must have worked. Who I am doesn't matter. What does is this--