Chapter 14: Revolution

"Fly, fly, FLY!"

"I am flying, Tinkerbell! You fly!"

The sounds of multiple wingbeats grew steadily closer as the three fairies darted between the leaves. Di, Chase, and Fury were only seconds behind them. They had been spotted way too quickly, and they had little hope of outrunning the highly-trained scouts.

"Clank! Hurry! This way!" Tink shouted, careening around a bend, hot on Vidia's trail. A poisoned dart whizzed past her ear and planted itself right in her path. The ammo was designed to paralyze hawks if they got too close to the Hollow. To get hit could stop a fairy cold. Maybe even kill them. She swerved, narrowly avoiding a small willow. Several leaves blew off as she passed and Clank ducked as they went soaring past his head.

"STOP!" Di shouted, sounding uncharacteristically angry. "TINKERBELL! ALL OF YOU! STOP RIGHT THERE!"

Naturally, she respected the scout, and did the exact opposite. "Come on!" she yelled, doubling back, grabbing Clank and dragging him after her as three more darts came flying for him. "Go, go, go!"

They raced across a small clearing near a stream, startling a herd of bunnies out for a stroll. They had just entered Spring and had passed the square. In the distance, Tinkers Nook was coming into view. They were so close.

But the scouts were right behind them.

"We're not going to make it!" Clank yelled the warning as they swerved around a cluster of trees. "They're too fast!" As he spoke, Fury caught up to him, but Vidia yanked back on a tree branch and let it fly, striking the fairy and sending her flying backward toward the forest floor.

"Keep going!" the fast-flyer yelled, readying a second branch as Chase came into view. "I've got this!" There was a zing as the second branch flew, but Chase was smarter, ducking underneath and readying another dart.

"Vidia!" Tink shouted.

"Go! Get to Tinkers Nook!" Vidia retorted, darting toward the heavens, drawing the attention of the remaining two scouts. "I'll meet you there!" As Di aimed another shot at her, she quickly spiraled out of the way, taking cover behind the greening leaves.

"This way," Tink hissed, taking Clank's arm and pulling him away from the clearing.

"But...Miss Vidia--"

"She'll be fine," Tink replied hastily. "There's not a scout in the world that can keep up with a fast-flying talent. We need to get to work on that machine." She glanced around as they flew. How far away was Zarina's house? Could she leave Clank at the Nook, fly there and get back without being caught? It seemed highly unlikely, and they had very little time to waste.

Her eyes drifted east, where the gold light of the Pixie dust Tree was steadily growing weaker. With the three of them holding the east season, and the others holding south and west, Bobble should have an almost clear path to Shade. If she squinted, she could have sworn she could see the glow of his wings hovering near the ground. This will work, she mentally assured him, even though she knew he couldn't hear her. Just be careful, and take it slow.

They passed through the last leg of the forest without seeing even a wing of another fairy. Whatever Shade was planning, he clearly hadn't been anticipating them. Tinkers Nook was lying abandoned in a hollow. It was entirely deserted and a haunting feeling of dread befell them. In the many years Tink had been there, she had never once seen the Nook empty. It wasn't a good feeling.

"Careful," she reminded Clank as they cautiously flew to the outer edge and took cover behind one of the mouse wagons.

"Everyone's gone," Clank whispered fearfully.