10. Designer

Roman hasn't called, texted or even shown up at any random places where I was at. I went to the grocery store probably 10 times this week to may bump into him, but he was never there.

And then I realized, I was tripping.

I guess a part of me was just curious, I wanted to know why he just left me in the bathroom when we were about to get hot and heavy, and not knowing was killing me.

As I get Sorayah dressed for school, I figured that him disappearing on me was probably for the best. The last thing I needed right now was a distraction.

Joe's words replayed in my head, over and over but I've been strong by myself for so long, through so many things, I highly doubt I'd need anybody at any point in my life ever again.

"Gummies?" Sorayah points at the tub of gummy worms on the kitchen table and I raise an eyebrow.

"You know damn well you ain't getting no gummies at 7 in the morning," she pouts and I roll my eyes, placing my hand on my hip, "go get you bag, Aunty Tera will be here soon."

"Why don't you ever drop me to school?"

"Mommy doesn't have a car, remember?"

"That must suck," she says, before running off to get her bag and my mouth drops open.

"Leb said he'd bring me flowers today," Sorayah continues as she skips to the door. This morning, when I went in to wake her up, she was already sitting in the bed. With no complaints, she let me bathe her, feed her, clothe her and there was no resistance!

Boys will just have that effect on you I guess.  Sorayah was too young for the birds and the bees talk, and I knew that obviously whatever was going on with her 'boyfriend', it wasn't serious. At this age, these kids will cling onto a child that makes them feel happy and grow with them.

And as long as Leb was a decent individual, I was okay with that.

"So when can Mommy meet Leb?"

#

"All I'm saying is, this place is a dead end, and nobody should be stuck here," Milani states.

I didnt feel like cooking today, so I headed down to Gina's Seafood Spot to stuff my face with sea creatures. There were always regulars at her joint, and among them were just a handful I could tolerate.

Milani, Jadea and Rev.

These were three people I never had to fight, confront, or embarass for anything, and although we weren't friends, we all tolerated each other.

"I agree, I would def encourage every baby in this town to stack up and get out of here," I add and everyone nods.

"Amen, everyone her is out for themseleves and it always shows. Grown men feeding children guns, women on the streets making a dollar with their body, no offence Honey,"

"None taken," I say honestly. It used to bother me in the beginning, when people would try to label me, or push me into a box but now? These people don't know my story and  they surely don't know the songs I've sang, so I don't even get all riled up. Never would I encourage anyone to do the things I do to make ends meet, but I'm a grown woman, and that's that.

I didnt realize that the conversation had ended and they were now onto the next. Gina came from the kitchen and pushed my boil at me.

She handed me the gloves and I happily take them from her. I didn't eat it very often, because Sorayah was allergic, and I normally just cook at home.

I forgot about the gossip girls next to me, and dug in completely, Love & Hiphop playing from the TV mounted on the ceiling.

So drawed in by the food, the atmosphere, and the overall relaxation, I hardly hear when the door opens, even if the bell rang. I surely didnt hear any footsteps behind me.

All I did was smell him.

The scent of expensive cologne and A/C, if that made any sense, and then his breath on my neck, always minty, always fresh.

"Mamas," he greets in a low tone, and I continue to stare forward, even as everyone was looking at me. By this time though, I was frozen. Even Gina peeked through the window from the kitchen.

I knew that Milano, Rev, and Jade would have this all over the town by yesterday, and all I wanted Roman to do right now, was disappear. He moved from behind me, and took a seat next to me on the table stool.

"Long time no see, huh?" He grinned his pearly whites at me, and I try my best to avoid his eye.

"A week isn't really that long," i reply.

"Aw," he teases, "you been counting?"

"What do you want, Roman?" I was getting uncomfortable. Everyone tried to make it seem like they weren't staring, but their nosey asses were.

He finally catches my drift, and straightens up. I thought he was about to leave, but instead he just shifts closer.

"I just wanted to check up on you."

I scoff, "check up on me for what?"

"I know I just left you at the party and —"

"So? Was that supposed to bother me or sum? You do remember what I do right?"

He clenches his jaw, "got you."

He was tight lipped from their, and unfortunately, I had lost my appetite.

"Gina, can you just give me the bill and have this wrapped up for me."

"For sure."

She works on that, while I gather myself.

"You heading home now?" Roman asks and I shake my head.

"Where you goin'?"

"What are you? My daddy?"

"Shit, if that's what you want me to be," he smirks and i roll my eyes.

"Here you go girl."

"Thanks Gina," I grab the food and throw my bag over my shoulder. I leave without saying anything to Roman, but as expected, he follows me out.

"I can give you a ride," he says and I stand still near the sidewalk.

"I already called up an uber," I said curtly.

"Well, call them off."

"And why would I do that?" I rain an eyebrow and he smirks.

"Because, you riding with me." He gave me a look, as if daring me to challenge him, and I was going to believe me, but then the rain came pouring from the sky, and I had no choice but to take him up on his offer.

Despite the fact that we were rushing, he still pulled my door open for me, and watched me get in before he moved to his side. It appalled me a little bit, but I pretend to be unphased. He climbed into his side and blew out a heavy breath before turning the warmer on.

He had this cheesy grin on his face, and I couldnt help but feel like I needed to slap that shit out of him. But, I simply looked away.

"So, where we going?"

"Just drop me off at the mall."

"We going shopping?"

"I'm going shopping, you just dropping me off."

"Yea right. My pockets a bit too heavy today anyway, I might just spend a couple bands."

"Hooray," I say dryly and he snorts.

"You are something else."