Owen

I wake up at around 5, getting up and stretching, stiff from sleeping on the couch. The sky is blue and dark and it's cold. I drink my coffee outside on the porch, trying to wake  up a little bit. The air is getting colder. It'll be autumn soon. Alan, somehow, is going into junior year. At this rate, I'll be glad if he makes it to 18. That's rude. I shouldn't say that. I chew my lip, thinking, finishing my cup. I have to work at 9. 

When I go back inside, I see a copy of Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury laying on the counter. It's Aspects. I make a mental note to return it to him after work. It's way too early to go now, but he'll be awake by the time I'm on the way home. 

Even though I force myself to leave later, I still end up at work early. It's quiet, the museum dead silent, only filled with fossils and ghosts. My footsteps echo on the tiled floor and I jump, half scared out of my mind when I see Margo in the breakroom. 

They're sitting with their legs kicked up on the table, reading. They glance over the pages at me and snicker.

"Gotcha didn't I?"

"Yeah, Jesus fuck,you're like a mouse. Were you on the night shift or something?"

"No, just early. Like you." they say, closing their book and sitting upright in the chair. I laugh hollowly. 

"I tried to come in late. Honestly, I did."

"Well kudos to you for failing that mission."

"Shut up," I say playfully, boiling the water kettle and sitting down across from them. "How's Teddy?" 

"Fine," Margo says. "She's still working night shifts at the hospital, so I only see her on my way out the door. We both have Thursday off, we might go to the lake. You should see if Aspect wants to come."

I rub my forehead. 

"Maybe,"

"If he's feeling up to it. He doesn't have to."

"No, I can ask. I wwas gonna swing by his place after work anyways. He's trying to kick dope."

"Jesus. Should someone be with him?"

"He said he'd be fine on his own, but it's Aspect," I trail off, shrugging. He had a tendency to never tell us anything. Selfless bastard. 

"Doesn't change my point." 

"No, I know. I was gonna swing by after work anyways. I'll make sure he's, y'know, alive."

~~~

In retrospect, I don't think I'd ever said something worse in my life. It was like I'd sealed fate when those words came out of my mouth. 

My work day was normal, I did the tours and told people about the same artifacts and pieces of history like a script I'd memorized, which it kind of was. Then finally, when the clock hit three in the afternoon, I clocked out.

"Text me about the lake ok? And Aspect?" Margo called from the break room after me.

"I will!" I replied, heading for the door.

The thought seemed nice, all of us heading up for a day. We'd done it before and had a great time. It was this beautiful little secluded spot about a little ways away from my house, nestled in woods where Teddy's parents owned a cottage near a lake. In the past me, Aspect, Margo, Teddy, and a few other friends would go up for a day or two. I didn't have a single bad memory of going there either, it was always just nice, watching the sun set, a fire crackling near your feet, getting drunk or high or whatever. I remember staying out way past midnight, in the water, floating on my back like a starfish, staring up and melting into the sky, drowning in the stars.

Sometimes we would go late in the year, when it was too cold for swimming, and chilly at night, and we would bundle up in blankets like little caterpillars, huddled close. I remember being close to Aspect, practically holding him, sleeping soundly through the whole night. No nightmares or waking up for no reason, just the entire world dead silent and asleep. 

The afternoon is still going strong when I arrive at Aspect's apartment, but there's an emptiness to the neighborhood. All the kids are home from school, and the playgrounds are empty and abandoned. The air hangs heavy and still, with no breeze at all, just weighted humidity choking the entire place. Everything feels contrasted and harsh, like the sun is trying to shine as bright as possible before slowly dipping below the horizon for night. As if it won't have the chance to do it all over tomorrow. 

Book in hand I make my way up to Aspect's apartment, and as I creep up the stairs, as the minutes pass, I begin to feel uneasy. As I approach his door, I don't immediately notice the smell, because Aspect lives in a really shady building and it's never been the most hygienic place. However, after knocking on his door for a good five minutes, I realize the rotten smell is coming from his apartment, and I swallow the lump in my throat. 

I call his name and try the door, worried when I find it unlocked. 

"Hello? Is anyone here?" I say, stepping into the flat, covering my nose and mouth very quickly after. I can't pinpoint what the smell is, but it's so bad, I just wanna leave. 

"Aspect?" I call out, checking his bedroom, finding it empty. 

I'm walking out into the living room, glancing into the kitchen when I see it. An arm sticks out from behind the table, and adrenaline surges through me. 

"No, please." I beg out loud that it's not what I think it is, my entire world crashing down on me as I round the table. 

I feel like screaming and throwing up, but nothing happens. I can't even do anything about what's already occurred. I can't touch him, or hold him, or be there for him, I can't even recognize him anymore. My legs feel like jelly and I stumble over to his couch, sitting down, my hands shaking as I call the cops.

"Hello 911, what's your emergency?"

"Hey I'm at 26 Dusk Road, uh, Apartment number 17, my friend is dead."