Chapter 2 - Food Additives

*an impression of Joel ^^^*

//////

Now what?

I watch Morana's silhouette disappearing into the far city lights, feeling a bit lost standing outside of a house full of bodies.

I sigh and call Azrael through telepathy. I touch the transparent circle tattoo on the inner of my left wrist.

'Yes? You're done, Joel?' His voice echoes around my ears.

'No,' I groan, 'I'm shot. And Abbatino got away.'

'What?!'

'You know nothing about this?'

'Of course not!' He sounds a bit offended by my question. Oh well. 'Are you alright? Surely human guns can't hurt you.'

'That's the problem. He's got some hell-made guns and bullets.' I sigh. 'My wound will heal in two hours though. So don't worry.'

'God, I'm so sorry, Joel.'

'So, are you going to come down here and take over?'

The line goes silent, which means nothing good.

'Azrael?' I hope he can see me squinting my eyes right now.

'Um, I wish I could...but I've got too many deaths to plan recently. There's a pandemic, you know.'

'Fine.' I know how bad the situation is...I am thankful that it doesn't affect my job.

'Thanks.'

'Can you at least send me some human currency? I need to find somewhere to stay the night.' I really can't be arsed to ask Raphael, the angel of fortune, for help.

'Sure. Um...okay, now, walk back to the city. I have someone there waiting for you.'

'Okay.'

'Take care, Joel. Thanks, again.'

I cut the communication and close my wings, heading towards the city.

//////

I stayed at a shitty motel after getting money from a dodgy-looking guy. He called me from a dark alley, giving me quite a fright 'cause I thought it was Abbatino's guy.

The healing of that wound consumed quite a lot of energy. I was so tired that I went straight to sleep when I got into the room.

Even the banging and moaning from the other side of the wall didn't bother me.

Waking up to the yelling outside, I feel a slight headache, possibly due to the fall yesterday and insufficient sleep.

I look over to my right and see a stained bullet on the bed, meaning that my wound has completely healed.

Great.

I look up, the piece of Morana's address is lying on the bedside table.

Oh, and that.

I think about the offer. One night of my service in exchange for one hunt of her service sounds like a fair trade...

Disregarding that she's a demon, I have no problem sleeping with her. She's hot.

Yet, I can't shake the feeling that it seems somewhat, wrong. Like a guilty pleasure.

Then again, I have no idea how to find Abbatino. I'm literally lost without the instructions of the files.

I take the paper in my hand, tracing my fingers on her wild handwriting.

Fuck it, it's just one night.