Chapter 12 - Good Night, Mo

**Song: There's No Way by Lauv

//////

This sucks.

Between the fleeting street lights, the vulnerability on Joel's face before I left her at the motel, and the surprise after I barged into the factory play like a slideshow.

She didn't think I'd come back for her.

I'm 90% sure Joel summoned Gabriel to her rescue.

Of all angels, she chose Gabriel.

Gabriel must mean enough to Joel so that at the sight of danger, she reaches out to her.

Although she was quick to tell Gabriel off when Gabriel mentioned that they were lovers, I can't help but feel a drop in my stomach.

That level of trust.

I know that's the gap between Joel and me.

Her lack of trust towards me is almost out of instinct because I am a demon, but my lack of trust towards her is reactive.

The knowledge of her thinking I am not trustworthy makes it hard for me to trust her.

I live enough to know that when trust isn't mutual, someone gets hurt.

And I don't want to be that 'someone'.

That's the truth.

It shocks me how insecure I actually am and how having a form of 'relationship' with her actually matters to me.

I can feel the invisible thread tugging on my heart even when she's not around.

I have this urge to open up to her, telling her all my darkest thoughts. Yet, when the words come to my throat, I swallow them like burning alcohol.

'I am yours.'

Joel's husky voice rings. The image of her panting under me blinds my vision for a split second.

The closest I feel I get to her is when she said those words, even if they were restrained to that moment.

But I refuse to think further, about what the possibility of us is.

I don't need her.

I never need anyone because I know, it just adds to all of those things that can come back and haunt me.

So, I shall be gone once I get Abbatino's head.

//////

Joel's POV:

Watching Morana riding off gives me an unpleasant tug in my heart.

I should've stopped her from going or gone with her. Instead, I let her walk away.

'Lovers' quarrel?' Gabriel teases as we fly into the night sky.

I give her a stern look. 'Really? Right after you pissed her off with your little add-on?'

I know I should be thankful for Gabriel's help, but my brain is too tired to filter my words.

'I was only telling the truth.' She shrugs, unbothered. 'Plus, isn't it why you called me?'

I am held speechless because it is all true—I can't just rip the benefit without the nature of our relationship coming to light.

'You're right. I'm sorry I used you.' I sign.

'Don't worry. I came out of my own will.' She pauses, 'But it seemed like you didn't really need my help because you got that demon.'

I let what she said sink in for a moment, 'I supposed you are right...again.'

Gabriel glances at me, saying with a hint of curiosity, 'So...you didn't think she'd come for you. Then, you called me.'

I nod, a bit annoyed and embarrassed about being called out like this.

'Do you want to talk about it?'

Do I? What's there to talk about? The fact that I slept with a demon, grew feelings for her while being miserably certain she'd choose to win the bounty over saving me?

'There's nothing to talk about. As I said, she's my hunting partner. Nothing more.' I state matter-of-factly, trying to pull myself out of the puddle of emotions.

'Well, if you say so.' Gabriel doesn't press further, yet I know she's not convinced, not even a little.

I keep quiet the whole journey back to the motel room.

When I think we'd be resting, Morana only throws some bags at me and Gabriel and walks out of the room like the wind.

'Follow me, we are staying somewhere else.' Morana says, giving me an emotionless look, and starts riding away.

I have no choice but follow.

She takes us to a house rather than a hotel, where a guy with orange hair greets us with a sophisticated smile.

'So, you must be Joel. I am Hinn.' He offers his hand, I hesitate for a second before shaking it.

'Yes, I am. Nice to meet you.' I smile back, hiding my tiredness behind my eyes.

'Thanks, man, for letting us stay. I owe you one.' Morana pats Hinn's shoulder and walks past him, still not spilling an ounce of attention on me.

'I'll leave you to it then. Good night, Mo.' He flashes another charming smile before he walks away.

Mo. It sounds so intimate and cute. I wish I could call her that.

'Anyway, angels,' Morana announces once we are all in the living room, 'There are four rooms. So, pick whichever you want.'

'Okay.' I nod obediently, looking into her eyes, and can't help but search for a hue that says 'I want you to stay with me'.

But all I find is the same defense she had when we first met, if not deeper.

'I will stay in Hinn's bedroom.' She says, however, locking my azures with her tourmalines.

Feels like a few minutes pass by before she breaks the gaze and turns away.

'Right, I am going to stay in that room.' Gabriel points to the left. 'Let me know if you need anything, would you?'

I simply nod, walking into the room on the far end, away from both Morana's and Gabriel's rooms.

Yet, as soon as I close the door, my mind is racing.

The long look Morana gave me.

Is that an invite?

Oh well, there is only one way to find out.

I open the door by a crack, making sure no one is out, and I let my legs lead me up the stairs to where the demon lies.

Note:

Hello fellow readers! Thank you for reading and waiting for me!

Sorry, this one is a shorter chapter. I really want to produce something in my crazy life.

Hope you lovelies enjoy this little something. :) Better to come I promise! Stay tuned x

Have a wonderful Christmas 🎄!!