14; flattery's gotten me this far

The winter fete was Mashka's favorite time of year, this year being no different

      The winter fete was Mashka's favorite time of year, this year being no different. It was a thrill to think that she would be formally Aleksander's second this year, they were publicly maybe even allowed to dance. Smiling to herself Mashka lifts the edge of her silk kefta, Aleksander had left early to attend to matters before her. She didn't even see him in his kefta, nor hers. 

      Smiling at the snow that lines the grounds from the window she walks down the stairs to the ballroom. Entertainers line the room, drinks flowing everywhere she turns. People mumble as she walks through the crowd. She knew of the things they said about her 'the Generals whore' being one of them. 

      It didn't get to her anymore, Aleksander made it clear how he felt about her. She got the job long before they got together. Grabbing a flute of champagne she smiles at Rina, the inferni they work closely with. 

"Mashka, you look lovely." Rina's silk curls wrap around her like a halo. 

       Smiling Mashka admires her blue kefta. "So do you, any sign of the royals yet?" she mumbles as she knows that Aleksander will be with them. 

"You mean your General?" Rina teases. 

       Mashka looks away. "Ravka's General." she mutters, but isn't vengeful. Rina is a friend, the teasing is welcome. 

"I saw him near the thrones, lets hope he's able to pick his mouth off the floor once he see's you." Rina encourages her, pointing around the corner. 

      Mashka ignores her comment, being stopped left and right as many different officials and politicians chat her up. Giggling at the Kerch ambassadors awful joke out of pity she scans the room, hearing a steady heartbeat in the sea of people. Mashka's shoulder is knocked against by a young fabrikator in training, being trailed by the youngest prince. 

"If you'll excuse me." she smiles enough to make her way round the corner. Finally she see's black in the room of loud colours. 

       Keeping her focus on him she takes him all in, the red lining his kefta, even parts of it peaking out of the collar. He looks so poised as he speaks to whomever is in his direction. Slowly she stalks toward him, grateful the person he's talking to has excused themselves. 

      Finally his eyes look to hers. Light filters around the room, Aleksander brightens at the sight of her, moving to meet her halfway. Both of them try to keep their smiles at bay, trying not to ravish one another with their eyes before people really start to notice. 

      Once their close enough he puts a gentle hand on her elbow as he leans into her ear. "You've lit up the whole room." 

       Mashka forces the blood to stop rising to her cheeks to form a blush, they were surrounded by so many people, they had to keep it professional. "Flattery won't get you anywhere tonight General."