25. the last piece

twenty-five
"Amicitia pulchra est." - Latin phrase

THE LAST PIECE

---

It was near dusk when a knock sounded on William's door. About time, he thought, sliding off the comfort of his bed and toward the mahogany door. He pulled it open, smiled at the boy standing across the threshold, and motioned for him to step into the room.

Lucien walked forward, hands stuffed in his pockets. There was no backpack slung across his shoulder-a strange sight considering the only other time Lucien had been in his room without the means to tutor him had been the night of the school trip to the museum (if his memory served him correct). His blond hair was a mess of unruly curls, hazel eyes gleaming in the dull light of his room.

"Fancy meeting you here, golden boy."

Lucien rolled his eyes, closing the door shut behind him. "Oh, please," he muttered. "As if you weren't begging me to visit your room earlier."

"Begging?" William arched a brow. "I don't beg."

"We'll see about that," Lucien quipped, lips pulled into a faint, mischievous smile. He sat on the edge of his bed and glanced up at William, still standing at the door.

"Oh, really?" A smile played at the edges of William's lips. "You're brave, I'll give you that." He walked toward the bed, laid down on the right side, and motioned for Lucien to do the same.

He inched himself toward William's right, laying next to him.

"Why did we hate each other so much?"

Lucien laughed softly. "Who says I don't still hate you?"

William reached for Lucien's hand, running his thumb across his knuckles. "You hate me, do you?"

He nodded. "I still haven't forgiven you for stealing that library book."

William was too focused on his hand, the warmth radiating between them, their sides pressed against each other. Butterflies danced around his stomach. "I stole a library book from you?"

"Shakespeare," he said.

"Oh, right." He laughed. "I needed it for a paper."

Lucien nodded, closing his eyes.

"Tired, darling?"

"My eyes are glued shut."

William sat up, reaching for the large blanket sitting at their feet. He pulled it around the two of them, laid back down, and motioned for Lucien to rest his head on his chest.

Surprisingly, he did. Lucien's eyes fluttered shut, and a tiny smile pulled at his lips, barely noticeable. William found himself winding his fingers through his hair, pulling gently. His hair was soft, had grown a bit longer than Lucien usually kept it.

William closed his eyes, a tired feeling swimming through his limbs. He felt heavy, lazy, like he could fall asleep in an instant, which was rather new for him. The blanket was heavy and soft, and Lucien's body was a solid, warm presence against him.