15. sea of darkness

f i f t e e n
"Sine sole sileo." - Medieval Sundial motto

SEA OF DARKNESS

---

William's eyes flitted from Lucien's to who he was assuming was his father, based on their similar appearances. His father had slicked back blond hair, not quite as long as Lucien's, noticeably shorter. He was wearing a black suit with a black tie-rather plain if you asked William-and his face was contorted into an angry, disappointed glare.

"I leave for half an hour only to see you've disappeared as if you were Houdini himself-" His voice fell short; he had just now noticed William. "And you are?"

"William Brown," he said, then arched a brow. "And you?"

His face turned stone cold as he eyed William and his muddied state. "Briar Harding, CEO of Harding Inc."

William fought his arising smile. He thought he'd have some fun with this, so he shrugged, feigning a confused expression. "Never heard of it," he said, lying straight through his teeth. Everyone in England knew of Harding Inc.

Lucien's father's lips pulled into a taut line. "It seems you're rather uncultured then."

"Father," Lucien said, grabbing his attention.

"And you're friends then, with my son?" his father asked, completely ignoring Lucien.

William tilted his head to the side, glancing at the blond boy who stood motionless as if he were trying to replicate one of the marble statues in the hallway so that he could disappear. "You could say that," he said with a tiny smile.

"I'm tutoring him actually," Lucien said quickly. "I just had a question to ask him about our next meeting."

"Right," William said, offering his father a charismatic grin. "Lucien's a great tutor, honestly."

"How lovely," he said. "Well, if you don't mind, my son and I were actually in the middle of a very important meeting and I'm afraid we must get back to it."

William didn't bother mentioning the fact that it was rather strange that a father was having a meeting with his son. "Of course," he said, sticking his hand out for him to shake. "It was lovely meeting you, sir."

His father's eyes narrowed as he straightened his tie. "For you as well, Mr. Brown." He turned to walk away but paused, then spoke again. "Sorry, I'm afraid I don't recognize your surname. Who is your father, Mr. Brown?"

William frowned, wringing his hands. His father was not someone he liked talking about, thinking about even. "You wouldn't know him, I'm afraid."

Lucien's father grinned coldly. "Try me."

"Charles Brown," William responded, heart beating rather erratically. Why was he suddenly so nervous? His father had abandoned him long ago; he hadn't seen him in years.

Tom might as well have been his biological father, however much the idea disgusted him.

"Never heard of him," his father said, the corner of one of his lips quirked upwards into a smirk. And that smirk-oh, how it bothered William immensely. "Your mother?"