The Kid

*****

I went downstairs as slowly as possible. Bidding my time, I take one step at a time as I try to rack my brains as to why Uncle Wan's youngest son, a.k.a. 'the kid', a.k.a "the scary one', is looking for me.

He's only a year younger than me and not really on the small side of the scale but my brother liked to call him this way amongst ourselves. When someone two years younger than you manages to scare the hell out of your mind by simply staring you down, you can't help but want to get back at him somehow. But since his dad is a close friend of ours, my pitiful brother have limited options to get even. So here he is, dissing him behind his back.

After ten years and a day I finally reached the end of the stairs, still not willing to face the kid, I was about to get back up a few more steps when I noticed a movement in the corner of my eye. I slowly turn towards the direction of the movement and there he was, the little devil sitting on our sofa.

I thought he was waiting at the gate?

He must've read my mind because the next thing he said answered this question of mine.

"Your door's open so I invited myself in. I hope that's fine, P'?"

A chill run down my spine as I met his cold brown eyes.

"S-sure. No big d-deal. You're practically family afterall."

My father has an iron rule in dealing with Uncle Wan's sons, and that is, to treat them like a part of our family. My father used to say that he and uncle were sworn brothers from different mothers (and fathers actually) but that all us kids must always get along well with one another no matter what. That seemed easy at first but me and my brother quickly realized that it isn't some pleasant walk in the park like we imagined but rather, an uphill climb with the fridge on your back kind of thing. And this little devil here is the hardest to deal with among the two.

"What brought you here N'Jay?" I ask as I sat on the edge of the other sofa from across him with both of my hands on my lap. Sometimes I even find myself almost giving this kid a waii. Not that I'm afraid of him though, I'm just, um, er, r-respectful. Yeah, I'm like that.

"Just dropping by, P'. Can't I?" N'Jay said with his signature nonchalant tone and piercing eyes.

"N-no it's fine. Not a problem at all. Make yourself comfortable." I immediately replied with the shake of both of my hands. "I'll get you something to drink." Wanting to escape as soon as possible, I made the offer and quickly stood up.

"Where is Uncle Min and Aunt Jane, P'?"

"They have an out of town trip. I think they'll be back by Monday morning or afternoon."

"So it's just you and P'Song here until Monday? You don't have other plans?"

"We don't. P'Song is finishing a project and I have several quizzes on Monday so I'll be studying at home the entire weekend."

I was half-shouting my answer as I pull out a pitcher from the fridge. When I got back to the living room, I handed N'Jay a glass of orange juice as he busies himself on his phone.

"Thanks, P'." A rare smile grace his lips as he said thanks.

Too bright.

This kid can be a charmer at times.

Not wanting to leave a guest alone and make him feel unwelcomed, I stayed a bit longer in the living room and accompany N'Jay while arranging my review sched on my calendar app. I also messaged my brother to come down and sit with us but not without reminding him how good of an older brother he is for letting me deal with this brat on my own. My brother must've felt guilty because he messaged me back saying he'll take his project downstairs and join us.

Relieved, I am smiling ear to ear at the screen of my phone when after a while N'Jay suddenly spoke.

"Can I sleepover P'?"

Then somewhere near, at the direction of the stairs to be exact, I heard a few thuds and the sound of a few things falling.

***

A/N:

My writing style has changed. I wonder if this is okay?

P.S.

I just made up the names of the parents.