The Archives of Joy

I'm usually not a fan of explosions. I suppose this was an exception. I nodded to Red, signalling him to proceed with our plan. He drew the most sinister smile as he stood in front of the entrance.

And before we knew it, the entire tunnel was alight.
"Before we head in there, we're gonna have to drag out the guards"

six fragmented wraiths emerged out of the archives, all dim and colourless.
They rushed at Red, blades in hand. He jumped back and landed next to me.
And while the wraiths charged, he kneeled down with the smartest smile
"May I have this dance" he chuckled
"Thought you'd never ask" I laughed as I put my mask on. One hand holding the sword, the other holding Red's hand. The dance of flames started.

"Once the guards are out, Red and I will merge in order to fight them off. In the mean time, Pain and Sorrow will enter the archives. Break as many false memories as possible."

Without a second to waste, Pain and Sorrow were into the archives. Meanwhile, I was too busy trying to pull my sword out of the first wraith that had charged.
He fell to the ground.
Seeing this, the rest pushed as one.
Two to our left, to our right and an archer at the back.
They immediately encircled us while the archer prepared his shot.
I took a deep breath, closed my eyes and focused on the dance.
The mask was in control.
The wraiths spared no chance, all charging at once.

One step to, one step fro, spin and kick.

I kicked the first to my left in the chin as me and red pounced at him. Red made quick work of him with a stab in the heart. One down

Two steps to the back, pull your partner in, draw them out and swing your fist to the left.

One aimed his spear into my face. I ducked, raising my arm and pushing it to redirect the spear.
As I drew red out from my grasp, he punched the wraith's face in.
The remaining two charged at Red, one trying to cut my bond with him.

Let go of their hand, jump once, twice and land.

I jumped onto the first wraith's spear, knocking him out of balance. I drew out my sword as he regained balance and stabbed at me. I dodged to his right, before swiping his torso clean in two halves.
With his hand free, Red drew fire out of his hand and shoved into the remaining wraith's chest.
"God how I hate false fears" he said between gritted teeth.

Hold your partner's hand, take a deep breath in.
One last pull, set the world ablaze.

They say pure anger is dangerous. They don't know what pure anger is. Not until logic and reason, anger's chains, are part of anger itself.

A dragon born anew, we crashed into the archer, within seconds, he was crushed and scorched.
"And now" We sighed.
"The archives."

I'm not scared of the dark
I'm not running, running, running
No I'm not afraid of the fall
I'm not scared, not at all
why would a star, a star
ever be afraid of the dark

As we entered the archives, Pain and Sorrow stood by the gates, welcoming us.
"Most of the memories are out for a while. Make haste though" said pain
A sense of dread washed into us.
The name is the most misleading thing to ever exist. This is where acceptance and growth die. Where flaws aren't forgiven. False memories, dreams, images and scenarios. All arranged neatly by date. As we got deeper into the archives, trying to burn as much as we could, we saw the old ones, forgotten and decayed. While the newer ones held on stronger, some of them we couldn't even burn.

The archives cannot be entirely removed. They withhold pain as much as they do lessons.

As we neared Sal, we felt a twisted twinge at the back of our spine. As we turned to look, we were surprised to see the decrepit three figures that Sal could not seem to forget about.
"Should've killed the memory when ya had the chance" said Leo
I paid no attention to him as I headed into the memory. This'll be sorted out later, we get the guy out of here first.

I headed in, and there was Sal, enclosed by figments of a false reality.
I opened the portal back to the real world.
"Face reality" We shouted as we stepped towards him.
"No!" he cried
Red was about to split from me at any moment
"Save that thought" he writhed before grabbing Sal and throwing him into the portal.
The portal shut behind him, and as it did, Red and I went back to normal.

No more badass dragon I guess.

The fight was far from over, by now Pain and sorrow would have shut the archives' gates. Fear would be getting back here to fight us. He'll have to be snoozed for a good while. And this long awaited battle has just started