f i v e

The days following the earthquake were filled with pulling bodies from rubble and trying to find a way back to normal. It was hard for everyone, events like that always were. But the 118 was a family, and they supported each other through it all.

Per doctors, and Bobby's, orders Roni had taken the next few shifts off work to rest and heal up before coming back to full duty. It was a nasty concussion she had gotten, and if she got hurt again during the healing process it wouldn't bring any good.

To say she was going stir crazy would be an understatement. It was only a couple days after and the girl was already climbing the walls of her and Buck's apartment.

"You sure you're gonna be okay here?" Buck asked with a raised eyebrow as he took a gulp of his protein shake.

"No, I'll probably die of boredom." Roni sighed dramatically as she hung off the couch.

"You know, maybe the girl who just got a life threatening head injury shouldn't be dangling upside." Buck mused, watching Roni kick her feet in the air as she laid upside down off the couch.

Roni barked out a laugh when Buck said life threatening. "You're literally so dramatic, I'm fine." Roni said as Buck's phone chimed with a notification. Buck's eyebrows furrowed as he read over the message. "Everything okay?"

"Yeah, I was supposed to be picking Eddie up but he said to go on without me. Guess Christopher's school is still closed and he doesn't have a sitter. His aunt watches him normally I guess, but she has a doctors appointment and it's too hard for her to take Chris."

"I can watch him." Roni didn't even hesitate before offering herself up.

Buck's head shot up as he looked at his best friend. "Really? You sure you're up for that?" Roni rolled off the couch and stood up, swaying just slightly as all the blood rushed from her head back towards her feet. Buck was at her side in an instant. "Maybe you shouldn't."

Roni swatted his hands away, rolling her eyes at the anxious boy. "Oh stop, I'm fine. Seriously, I'd love to watch Chris. Not like I have anything else to do anyway. Let Eddie know we'll be at his place soon and I'll watch the kid."

Buck nodded, a small grin on his face, as Roni made her way down the hall to get changed. He typed out a quick response to Eddie letting him know it was taken care of and that he'd be there soon. Buck was still grinning as Roni slid into the passenger seat, a suspicious look on her face. "What's with you?" She asked, pulling on her seatbelt.

"Nothing." Buck shook his head. "Nothing!" He denied again, seeing the look Roni gave him. "I just think this is nice, that's all."

"What's nice?"

"Us. With Eddie and Chris. It's nice." Buck commented, his attention now focused on the road in front of him.

Roni gave him shit, but she couldn't help but smile sadly at her friend. She knew a bit about his childhood and how he never got his parents approval. Was never close with them. And she knew that was part of why he wanted kids of his own so badly, he couldn't wait to be a father and have that relationship he never got. So it didn't surprise her that he had gotten so attached already to Christopher, and in turn Eddie. The father and son had a bond with each other that Buck would give anything for.

Roni didn't say anything else on the matter, instead letting Buck have this moment. It didn't take but twenty minutes for the pair to pull up to Eddie's, who was already standing at the door as they bounded up the porch steps. "What's going on?" Eddie asked, clearly confused as he looked between the two. He knew Roni wasn't due back at work for another few shifts, so he wasn't sure why the girl was there with Buck.