e i g h t

There were very few things that upset Bobby Nash.

In the early days of his and Veronica's relationship as father and daughter he always remained calm, cool, and collected. Nothing seemed to rock him. Veronica would try, oh would she try. Small acts of rebellion that were ultimately a test to see if the man who owed her nothing would actually stick around or throw her off to the next foster family. She'd sneak out at night, get into fights at school, and she even wound up in the police station a couple of times under the custody of new police deputy, Athena Grant. But Bobby never faltered. He was patient, kind, and understanding. And for a short period it only made Roni act out more.

It wasn't until the anniversary of his family's death came around; that was the first time Roni saw Bobby break.

It got less and less as the years went on. Their death anniversary would came and go, as would their birthdays and favorite holidays, and each year it seemed to hurt Bobby a little less and less. Roni never realized it, but Bobby had her to thank for that.

This year, though- this year was different. Because this year Brook would have turned 16. And he'd never say it, but Roni knew that seeing Athena and her kids sent those feelings of grief back into Bobby's heart.

Roni's fist rapped against the wood of Bobby's front door before her arms wrapped around her torso. Today was her shifts day off, and while a part of her wanted to spend it with Buck and Eddie helping Buck's sister, Maddie, move into her new apartment, she knew that her dad needed her. And because of that this was the only place she really wanted to be.

Roni looked up as the door in front of her opened, revealing Bobby with a surprised look on his face. "Hey, kid." He greeted with a smile that Roni saw straight through.

"Hey, old man." She teased, stepping into his waiting arms and wrapping hers around him.

"Wasn't expecting you. What brings you around?" Bobby asked, leading her into the small home.

Roni shrugged. "I didn't have any plans today, and it's been awhile since we've seen each other outside of the firehouse. Thought if you didn't have plans with Athena or anything we could grab lunch? Or cook here?"

Bobby's face was neutral as he analyzed Roni's face. "You don't need to worry about me, Veronica. Go spend your day off with Buck. Or Eddie." Bobby said, emphasizing the latter's name with a knowing look before turning and heading towards his kitchen.

Roni's jaw dropped before she was running after Bobby into the kitchen. "Hold on! First of all, there is no 'Eddie' in that tone. What's even with that tone? Second of all, I have every right to worry about you, you're my dad. I'll always worry about you-"

"No." Bobby interrupted. "No, that's not how it works. You don't worry about me, I worry about you. You're the kid."

Roni scoffed. "I'm 26, Bobby. I'm not a kid."

"You're my kid. And you don't need to waste your time worrying about what's going on with me." Bobby snapped. There had only been a few times since Bobby took her in that the two had actually fought, but this was quickly escalating into another.

"You're being so unbelievable right now." Roni said incredulously. "Why do you have this mentality of handling everything on your own? You don't need to do that, you're not alone." I'm right here.

Bobby narrowed his eyes as he shook his head. "Stop. Just stop, Veronica. You're talking about things that you have no clue about, no idea."

"Oh, no idea? That's rich, Bobby. Have you forgotten what my situation was when you found me? I know a lot about being alone, and you know that. I mean, come on Bobby, it's been nearly ten years since you took me in, do you really not get that I'm not going anywhere?"