Chapter 3: The bunker

As soon as Nat awoke the next morning, she grabbed two paracetamol tablets and guzzled them down with the aid of a nearby glass of water. That should help with this blasted morning sickness, she thought to herself. She wondered whether she should wake Steve up, but before she could continue that thought, a huge wave of nausea overcame her as she dashed to the bathroom opposite just in time. It had appeared as though she had been too late with the tablets. On the other hand, that morning hadn't been as bad as the previous. Nat heard Steve stir from the bedroom, and she cleaned herself up to greet him. "How're you feeling this morning?"
"Still shit, but better than yesterday." She groaned, gesturing at the tablet box in her right hand.
"How many did you take?" He questioned, looking at her sternly.
"Just 2, honestly Steve, do you think I'm some dumbass who can't read the instructions on dosages, or something?"
"Watch your language."
"You didn't tell me to last night." Nat pointed out.
"That's because yesterday was quite shocking and somewhat unsettling." Nat rolled her eyes at him.
"Have we got everything all packed up?" Steve looked around, checking the upstairs.
"I believe so. Have you got that burner phone with Clint, Sam, Wanda, and Scott's contacts on?" Natasha asked, gently holding her lower stomach.
"Yes, in the rucksack."
"And the test? Don't want to leave that behind in case anyone comes looking?"
"Let me just go and grab it real quick."

Nat looked at herself in the longer bathroom mirror, a hand under her lower stomach, with the other one just below her rib cage so that she could inspect the size of her small bump. It wasn't noticeable, but if you looked hard enough, it was definitely there. Nat let out a small sigh, which turned itself into a whimper. "You ok in there?" Steve called as he re-entered the bathroom.
"Can you tell?" Nat asked softly, staring at the captain sadly.
"Tell what?"
"That I'm..." She whispered, "That I'm pregnant?" Steve took a deep breath, inspecting the bump.
"You could only really tell if you knew that you are pregnant. You're still gorgeous, in fact, even more so than before." Natasha smiled slightly, advancing slowly towards his chest. He opened up into a warm embrace, and held her. Inside Steve's arms, the assassin felt safe, as if they were back at the compound, and still friends with Tony, before the Accords went and fucked everything up. Steve gently stroked her red tresses, whispering sweet nothings into her ears, calming her down with each delicate touch.
"You ready to go?" He said quietly after a while. Natasha nodded.
"Then let's go." He lead her down the stairs with one arm around her waist, with hers around his. He picked up the rucksack as they exited the premises, and closed the door behind them, locking it and hiding the key underneath the mat.

They both stepped into the truck, and started her up. Steve then drove them out of the driveway and they made their way towards the highway. They had nearly been driving for more than an hour or so on the highway, before Nat began to fidget. "You alright? You need the bathroom?" Steve asked from the driver's seat, glancing over at her as much as he could.
"Yeah, but I can hold it."
"Nope, not on my watch. I'll look for a sign for any services nearby."
"Steve you don't need to- ."
"'Tasha, I insist. I can't have you uncomfortable during this journey, and I can see that you already are. In fact, here is a turnoff for a hotel. If we pretend to be other people, maybe we can get you to a proper bathroom." Nat tried to protest, but Steve wasn't have any of it. It wasn't long before they were parking in the hotel's parking lot, and Steve was grabbing his hat and one of Nat's hoodies as their "disguise". "Put this on, and keep the hood up." He told her.
"Ok. Here's the plan then," Nat whispered, "You say that your pregnant fiancé is desperate for the loo, and I insist that I need to go really badly." She finished, practically jumping up and down on the spot.
"That's barely different to our actual problem."
"Yeah, well, shut up. I really need to go." They walked up to the hotel, through the large doors, and towards the front desk. The receptionist looked at them and smiled, "Hello, how can I help you two today?" Steve lowered his voice slightly,
"Hi there, we were just wondering if my fiancé could use the facilities here? She's pregnant and is desperate, you see." Nat looked at him, silently judging him for his use of the word 'facilities'.
"Uh, yes of course, it's just down the hall there and to the left." This time Nat raised her voice slightly,
"Thank you so much.", before dashing over to the door marked 'Ladies'. Steve smiled at the receptionist, and made his way over to the waiting area, sitting down on one of the soft, squishy armchairs.

Nat legged it into one of the free cubicles, locked the door, and sat down on the sparkling seat. She felt a surge of relief as she emptied her bladder, and cleaned herself up. Flushing the toilet behind her, she unlocked the cubicle door and moved towards the sink. As she began to wash her hands, the bathroom door opened, and a woman dressed in a tight, navy jumpsuit entered. Natasha caught a glimpse of the badge on the woman's uniform through the mirror in front of her, and recognised it instantly: it was SHIELD's. She quickly cleaned up, grabbed some paper hand towels and left the bathroom. She hurried over to Steve, where he was reading the day's newspaper, and grabbed his hand. "Thank you so much again!" She called to the receptionist, who waved them away politely, and pulled him out of the hotel.
"What was all that about?" He asked, slightly flustered.
"SHIELD agent in the bathroom. We have to leave now."
"Oh shit!" Steve answered, hurrying to open the truck doors.
"Uh, language Captain." Nat mocked, laughing slightly from the slight adrenaline rush.
"Yeah, yeah." Steve muttered, as he started the engine. As they left towards the entrance to the highway, Nat added
"And what was that, you using the term 'facilities'? No one says that anymore."
"I panicked, ok? Now get your feet off the dashboard." Nat smirked at him as she shifted her position.

They had barely driven for more than half an hour before Nat cried "Oh crap!", opened the window, and vomited into the road beside them.
"You need us to stop?" Rogers asked, a hint of concern in his voice.
"No, just keep going. I'll be fine."
"You're always saying that when it's obvious that you aren't. Why don't you try and get some sleep? That may help." Natasha nodded as she closed her eyes and began to drift off.

————————————————————————————————————————————

By the time Nat had woken up again, it was already getting dark and they were now driving on country roads. She turned over to look at Steve: he looked exhausted. "How much further?" She asked him, rubbing her eyes and sitting up properly.
"Just a few more minutes." He replied sleepily.
"Do you want me to take over?"
"No, we're nearly there. There's no point." They turned a corner and we're headed into a forest thick with trees. The road was bumpy, and Steve was apologising constantly to Nat, as with each bump she turned a new shade of green.
"I can't wait until this pregnancy is over." She muttered as they hit another bump.
"We're almost here. I'm really sorry: I forgot how bumpy the tracks were."

After another two minutes and Nat puking again, they had reached the bunker. Nat sat in the car, attempting to pull herself somewhat together so that she could stagger inside without Steve's help, as he grabbed the bags to go inside. She hated that she had to rely on Steve, especially as she had been so independent for most of her life. "You ok to come in?" Steve asked, approaching Nat's car door. She nodded, closing her eyes as her vision began to spin. "Come on, I'll help you." He gently lifted her up out of her seat and carried her towards to door in his arms, Nat nodding off again, her head resting in the crook of his neck. He kissed her on the top of her head, and as she began to snore softly, he whispered in her ear "I love you 'Tasha." He closed the door gently behind him with his foot and placed her on the bottom bed of the set of bunk beds, imagining it would be easier if she had to get up suddenly. It was dark and dingy in the bunker, the floor completely covered in dirt and rotted leaves, the walls rusting, and there was a small hole in the roof that let in a small ray of moonlight. It was colder than he had remembered and smelled slightly. In the corner was a small metal bucket, and there were some small cabinets along the wall. As he looked over at Nat, it was visible that she was shivering slightly. Picking up an extra blanket, he moved over to her and lay next to her, warming her up with his own body heat and the blanket over them. She nestled into him, and he too began to drift off.

****

How was this chapter guys? I honestly just love how caring and protective of Natasha Steve is! Please could you guys comment on the parts that you like so that I can make notes for the future!