Chaptor 14: Preparation

1 month later.

Nat and Steve had arrived back from the compound a week ago, and they were already beginning to prepare the small room connected to theirs for the baby. Steve, Bucky and Sam were all pitching in to build the furniture, whilst Wanda was helping Nat decorate the room. She used her magic to reach the highest places on the wall so that Nat didn't hurt herself trying to reach. They had begun to paint the room a neutral cream colour, as they still didn't know the sex of the baby, and were already half way done. Natasha had taken the Liberty of sitting down on a rocking chair that Steve had built for her for the room as she painted due to that she had just begun her third trimester. She and Wanda had been gossiping and catching up since Nat had had very little time to talk to any of her friends whilst she had been working on desk duty, as she had wanted to make sure that everything was done to the best of her abilities.

Wanda was effortlessly causing her two paint rollers to fly up the wall, chatting about the baby whilst Natasha was taking a short break, holding her stomach tightly. Wanda noticed that her expression had changed. "Hey, are you alright?" She queried, placing the paint rollers back in the paint tray.
"Uh, yeah, I think so. Just some cramps, that's all." She winced slightly, feeling her stomach tighten slightly.
"Do you need me to go and get Cap?" Wanda asked, looking concerned.
"No, but could you go and get the pregnancy book that Laura lent me? It's on my bedside cabinet."
"Yeah, of course." She hurried off, returning shortly with the book in her hands. She thrust it at her, Nat grabbing it and flicked through the pages to the 27 week mark. She sighed with relief. "What is it?" Wanda queried, looking at her nervously.
"It's fine. It's just Braxton Hicks."
"I don't know what those are." Wanda stated, confused as she magicked the paint rollers again.
"Braxton Hicks contractions- "
"Contractions?!" Wanda cried, alarmed. Steve came tearing into the room at the cry, a look of panic on his face.
"Did I just hear you're having contractions?! Come on, we need to get you to the hospital now!" He gasped, pulling her up out of the chair.
"Steve, I'm fine. It was just Braxton Hicks contractions. They're completely normal, according to Laura's book. They're like practice contractions. You guys don't need to worry. See, they've stopped; I'm completely fine." She reassured them, sitting down and picking up her paint roller. Steve stood there and stared at her, fear still evident in his eyes. "Rogers, I'm fine. You don't have to worry."
"Oh Nat, I'll always worry about you." He murmured, kissing her forehead before leaving the room.

————————————————————————————————————————————

Steve made his way back over to Sam and Bucky, where they were all struggling with the crib. "For fuck's sake!" Bucky cried out as he dented his metal arm slightly with a hammer.
"Language!" Cap automatically said, as he knelt down on the floor beside them, picking up the instructions.
"Steve, we've been at this for hours now, and we weren't able to get any further yesterday." Sam said, exhausted.
"Come on, we can finish this today."
"Maybe we should ask Wanda to help out, she could do build it in an instant." Bucky said, yawning.
"Ask me to do what?" Wanda had arrived with Nat, and rolling their eyes at them.
"We don't need any help." Steve reassured them, turning back to the papers in his hands. Sam and Bucky's faces said differently. Wanda laughed silently as she moved her fingers, and built the crib instantly. Steve looked up, and raised an eyebrow at them.
"Aren't they useless at building cribs without us?" Wanda laughed, looking over at Nat.
"Yes, completely!" She agreed, cracking up.
"Where are you two going?" Steve called over his shoulder as he, Sam and Bucky lifted up the crib to move it into the nursery.
"To get food!" Natasha called back, walking towards the kitchen with Wanda beside her.

————————————————————————————————————————————

Nat was already in bed by the time Steve got back from the gym. It was late, the stars and moon were already shining brightly in the night sky. The door opened slowly and quietly, gently letting in light from the corridor. Nat stirred lightly, before she began screaming softly, the volume gradually increasing, until they became loud enough to haunt the dead. She thrashing wildly in her sleep, crying out "No! Leave me alone! Don't take my baby!" Steve pinned down her wrists onto the bed, and cried out her name, attempting to wake her up. "Nat. Nat!" He lay down on the bed beside her; she was still captivated by her nightmare. He moved himself closer to her, and cradled her head in the crook of his neck, stroking her tangled hair. "Sshh, sshhhh. Everything's going to be alright." She woke up, and began to weep into his chest, holding him as tightly as she could. "Another nightmare?" He asked, already knowing the answer. She nodded, her tears mixing with the sweat in his chest. "Was it the usual one?" He asked, kissing the top of her forehead, glittering with sweat. She shook her head, whimpering. "What happened?" He soothed. She put one hand on her swelling belly.
"I was taken by the Red Room when I went into labour, and they tried to take our baby. To kill it. Because it's mine." She wept into his chest, shaking, both physically and emotionally.
"Hey, it's going to be alright. You know that it's not going to happen, because one, you and our baby mean the world to me," He placed one hand on top of Nat's on her stomach. "And two, I wouldn't let them even near you." Nat snuggled into him, calming down slightly. She leant her head on his chest, and wrapped one arm around him. He wrapped his other arm around her, and they both drifted off to sleep.