Chapter 16: Dangerous news

1 and 1/2 months later.

Nat was getting closer to her due date by the day, and she appeared to be getting bigger by the second. All she could fit in now were t-shirts and sweatpants. She had got up early that morning, as she had struggled to sleep at all the previous night. Her back ached, and she was uncomfortable. She held her hands on her lower back as she got out of bed, only wearing underpants and one of Steve's buttoned up shirts, unable to fit in her PJs anymore. She sat down on the edge of her bed, and leaned over to pick out a shirt. She grabbed her mama bear shirt, and put it on. She reached over for her black sweatpants and pulled them on, struggling slightly to get them on at first. She walked over to the wardrobe, and picked out her black leather biker jacket. Moving over to the mirror, she picked up her hairbrush, pulling it gently through her hair. She moved back up to the headboard of the bed, and picked up her phone. Steve began to stir, and so she placed her phone back down on the cabinet beside her. "Morning." He yawned, ruffling his messy hair and stretching, as he shifted himself up into a sitting position.
"Morning." She answered, smiling at him, and kissing his neck.
"How're you doing?" He asked, wrapping his arm around her shoulders.
"My back hurts slightly, and I'm starving, so hurry up and get dressed." She said, sounding slightly annoyed. 
"Alright, I'll hurry up so that you can eat." He laughed slightly.
"Damn right you will." She joined in.

Once Steve had got himself ready, he helped Nat put on her shoes and supported her waist as they made their way down the corridor and into the kitchen. No sooner had she sat down and begun to eat her breakfast before the doorbell went. "Agent Romanoff", Friday alerted. "There's someone at the door for you."
"For fuck's sake." She swore with a mouthful of food. "Thanks Friday, I'll be right there." She put down her cutlery and Steve stood up, but she waved him down. "I'll get Friday to call you if I need any assistance." She said, as she walked out of the room. She made her way down the corridor and two flights of stairs before she had made it to the front door. She opened it.

Her sister was standing in front of her.

"Yelena?" She gasped, embracing her baby sister. At the slight pressure of its mum hugging someone, Nat's baby began kicking hard.
"Natasha, you're... you're..." Yelena began with her thick Russian accent.
"Pregnant, yes I know." Yelena was taken aback with surprise, her hands moving onto Nat's stomach, feeling the strong kicks as Nat tried not to wince from the slight pain.
"But, but how? I don't understand? We were sterilised. All of the black widows were sterilised."
"I don't know either. Come inside, there's some people I'd like you to meet." They began walking down the corridor towards the stairs.
"You sure you can manage up those stairs? You're pretty huge." Yelena asked, glancing at her sister from the corner of her eye.
"Thanks a bunch. Yes, I've done it plenty of times before, it'll just take me a bit longer." She said, smirking.
"How far along?"
"37 weeks?"
"Almost ready to pop then."
"Ha, yeah, can't wait for all that pain."
"You'll have a baby after it though. Something the rest of us widows can only dream of having." She pointed out.
"Yes, that's true." She panted slightly, half way up the first flight.
"Do you need a rest?"
"Probably. I won't sit down though, otherwise I don't think that I could get back up." Nat laughed, leaning on the banister.
"Agent Romanoff, do you need me to call Captain Rogers?" Friday asked from the intercom.
"Might be a good idea." She answered, leaning on Yelena slightly.
"Are you alright?" Yelena asked, even her thick accent couldn't hide the hint of concern in her voice.
"Yeah, I'm fine." Steve came jogging over towards them and down the stairs, looking worried.
"Everything ok, 'Tasha?" He enquired, coming to a halt right beside her.
"Yeah, may need some help getting up the stairs, that's all."
"Do you need me to carry you?"
"Nah, just give me a hand." He moved his hands to support her waist, and the three of them continued up the stairs.
"Do you know what you're having?" Yelena queried, glancing over at Natasha.
"No, not yet." Steve answered.
"What, are you the father?" She asked, confused.
"Yep." He replied.
"So that's how you got pregnant, Natasha." Yelena had finally put together the pieces.
"What's that supposed to mean?" She asked.
"You know, super soldier semen." Before they could continue their conversation, they were interrupted by the intercom.
"Could all avengers, agent Hill, and director Fury make their way to the conference room, immediately. I repeat all avengers, agent Hill, and director Fury to the conference room, thank you." Nat and Steve looked at each other, bewildered.
"Wonder what that could be about?" Steve said.
"Yeah." Nat agreed.
"Shall we take the elevator?" Yelena suggested.
"Would probably be quicker. Though they make me want to puke." Nat said. They made their way up the first flight of stairs and continued towards the elevator. Yelena pressed the up button and they waited for thirty seconds before the doors opened. When they had entered, Nat pressed the fourth floor button, making it light up blue.

————————————————————————————————————————————

The three of them had entered the conference room to find the room full with everyone else, plus two unfamiliar faces. "Ah, Agent Romanoff, Captain Rogers, glad that you two could finally make it. Whose your friend?" Fury greeted them, a hint of sarcasm catching the words from the tip of his tongue.
"This is my baby sister, Yelena Belova." Nat introduced her, as Yelena waved a little to the crowd.
"Huh," Tony began. "Didn't know you had a sister."
"Yeah, we'll, there's still a lot that you don't know about me, Tony."
"I've known you for years though."
"Doesn't matter."
"What's going on?" Steve changed the subject. He noticed Banner in the corner of the room, white with fear. "Who are these people?"
"Steve, Natasha, this is Doctor Steven Strange and Wong. They're masters of the mystic arts." Banner introduced them. Nat stood with her arms crossed across her chest.
"Dr Banner has brought to our attention that the universe is in grave danger." Fury began.
"Um, actually, half the universe is." Banner corrected him.
"Sorry, HALF the universe is in danger."
"How?" Nat asked, worry lines beginning to engrave themselves on her forehead, her stomach began to tighten slightly.
"A Titan called Thanos is hunting for the six infinity stones." Strange began, looking at the group. "According to your friend here, he already has two. And he believes that two more are here on earth."
"And what do these infinity stones do, exactly?" Tony asked, Pepper holding onto his arm tightly.
"Well, with all six infinity stones, with one snap of his fingers," Strange demonstrated with his own hand. "He could wipe out half the universe. One of these stones, is in this room." He added, looking directly at Vision. "That same stone gave you your powers." This time he turned to face Wanda. Nat's stomach began tightening even more; she took a sharp intake of breath. No one notices.

"I have the other one on earth with me right now. This man," He pointed at Vision. "Has the Mind Stone implanted in his head. I have the Time Stone right here." He did a fancy glowing trick with his hands, and the long pendant around his neck began glowing as well, and opened, unleashing the Time Stone's emerald glow. Nat's pain began to subside, so she brushed it off, looking at Steve in worry.
"What are we going to do?" Steve asked, ignoring Nat's look.
"Dr Strange has been given orders to protect the Stone with his life." Wong stated, matter of factly. "I have been given orders to aid him in protecting it." Vision turned to Wanda, a look of certainty in his eyes.
"Wanda, you must destroy the Stone in my head. By doing so, Thanos won't be able to complete his hunt and destroy half of all life. Only you have the power to do it." Wanda shook her head, tears embedding themselves in her eyes.
"Vision, no. It will kill you. That's too high a price. I can't do it." Pain was ebbing its way into her voice.
"Yes you can, Wanda." He reassured her.
"We are not going to have this discussion here." She said, stubbornly. Nat felt the same sharp, tightening pain in her stomach again, hissing slightly at the sensation. It was gone almost as suddenly as it had arrived.

****

Ooh, is Natasha going into labour here? Could the stress of half the universe depending on them getting to the avengers?

Hope you guys are enjoying this, please comment and vote on the chapters that you like; I'm already planning a sequel for this story!