Chapter 8

A/N:

ANNOUNCEMENT:

I used to have a series of tildes (~) and bullet points () for time skips, but that's getting too annoying, so I'm just using a single tilde as a time skip. (Across all my books)

So yeah.

This is a very awkward chapter, don't mind me.

~

Sophie

Sophie was more tense than usual. The Conference was tonight, and she kept getting the instinct to look over her shoulder.

Usually a month before the Conference, all the Gang Leaders sent out people to get whatever dirt they could as leverage against everything else.

She wouldn't put it past them to do the same. Especially Fury, seeing as her and Linh stuck together for most of the day.

And they must have seemed tense, because the rest of their friends kept casting them worried glances. Though they didn't dare say anything.

When the day ended and she found Liam waiting at the school gate, she merely muttered a prayer to her mother that this night wouldn't end in bloodshed.

~

"Let's go through the rules again," Liam decided.

Sophie nearly groaned. He'd made her go over his rules so many times, she was surprised she didn't recite them in her sleep.

"Don't draw attention to yourself, don't show aggression, don't curse, don't be rude, and don't to anything else that could potentially put your life in danger," she sighed.

"Good," he nodded appraisingly. "And whatever you do, don't start a fight."

"Geez, I know."

At that moment, them and the other Heirs were stationed outside the entrance of a restaurant.

It didn't belong to Trio, of course. They needed neutral territory to go with the Conference. And of course, they had the entire thing booked.

Aaaaaaanndddd, there was practically a fanfare as the escorts came in, then the irritating Leaders themselves.

She itched to punch them in the face one by one, just for what they did to their family. She stiffened, clenching her fists behind her back, her feet apart. 

Four of them in total, the Leaders were formidable sights. 

As they walked into the restaurant, the Heirs trailed after them. Supposedly watching their backs, but Sophie caught herself wondering how satisfying it would be to sink a dagger between their shoulder blades. 

"Calm down," Liam muttered, seeing her strained expression. 

She nodded, but didn't do anything as she took her station with the other Heirs at the back of the room. 

That was hence the start of the Conference.

~

"Let's first settle the things at hand," said Mai, the Leader of Ire, and mother of Tam and Linh. If she could even be called that. "Why did Fury send people after my daughter?"

"I wasn't aware I was related to her," Linh shook her head slightly. 

"And mine," William continued, completely oblivious to Sophie gritting her teeth. 

Earle tipped back in his chair. "I was under the impression that we all expected attacks from each other before the Conference."

"That gives no excuse for a direct assault on my daughter," William snapped.