Chapter 5 - Stalker, or Fate?

Braxton sighed as he ran back into town. How many times had he come down off the mountain this week? He loved living in the mountains of Colorado, it gave his pack access to modern amenities and opportunities while still being secluded from prying eyes.

Looking down at his to-do list he wondered how he had become the lackey of his pack...he was the damn Alpha... He didn't remember having to do so much himself. Didn't he have underlings to do this? Where were they? Maybe he could stop in the brewery on his way back out of town as incentive to get these errands done quick.

------------------------------------------------------------

Lily sighed as she looked at her wardrobe. Had she bought any new clothes in the last 5 years? Everything looked old and dingy. Hell, it looked downright frumpy in some cases...she better not have any of those mom jeans lurking in her drawers! Lily remembered that she had bought some leggings and loose tops recently, but those were her comfy clothes and not work clothes. She pulled out a few skirts and held them up, then moved to the slacks and dresses. Once there was a pile of clothes on her bed, she heaved another sigh...she didn't feel like wearing anything, nothing felt right.

What was wrong with her? She had never really bothered worrying about what she was wearing for work before, maybe for date night, but not for work. Sighing yet again in frustration, Lily pulled on one of her standby dresses - a blue flared shirt dress. 

She knew why she was flustered getting dressed.

Last night she had a dream about her mystery man. Instead of having a dirty dream about her husband, she had instead dreamt about longer black hair falling over piercing silver eyes. It wasn't the first time. Her imagination was running wild lately. Not only was she daydreaming about a mystery man, she swore she had seen him around town frequently over the last month.

It all really started at the carnival. After he had found her daughter's lost plastic hammer, Lily had kept noticing him various places. If she didn't know better, she would wonder if she had a stalker. Did she know better?

Had he always been living in town? Why was she only noticing him now?

Why was she still worrying about this? She had kids to get ready!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Braxton pulled into the brewery. It was a nice place on the outskirts of town. The foothills of the mountains and forest were right out the back of the exterior patio. He enjoyed the scenery and the more quiet atmosphere than the places in town. The brewery itself had multiple interior rooms, including a large space his pack had rented previously for events. The glass doors would open out into the woods so attendees could go for a run if needed, or if the younger pack members couldn't hold their wolves in. He had to admit that this company was one of his recent purchases and a favorite in their modernized portfolio. It might have been selfish of him to buy the place when he heard they were in financial trouble.

Brax sat down with a nice stout near the edge of the exterior patio. Finally he could relax for the day. His mind wandered over to a certain blue eyed woman that had been on the edge of his mind lately. As he daydreamed about her, Brax could almost smell the intoxicating scent that was unique to her. Closing his eyes, Brax let out a deep breath and felt utterly relaxed for the first time in a month. He was so relaxed, he felt electricity thrumming off his upper arm.

Braxton's eyes flew open as he heard her.

"Who are you? Are you stalking me?"

Lily was standing next to his chair, lightly touching his arm to get his attention. The lowered sun was creating a halo around her hair, making her look even more ethereal and enchanting. Brax sucked in his breath, immediately tensing up and standing. Unfortunately, this made Lily drop her hand from his arm.

"I was here first. So, are you stalking me?"

"Actually, I was sitting in the other room enjoying my hard cider when I saw you walk by. I swear I have been seeing you all around town, everywhere I run my errands. Who are you?"

"Braxton. My name is Braxton, or Brax for short." He stuttered out. Why was he stuttering? He was an alpha  

...standing in front of his mate...his unattainable, unreachable, mate.

With a slightly stronger voice, Brax choked out "What is your name?"

"Lily." 

They stare at each other for a few minutes. Braxton was looking into her blue eyes, trying to fill up his need for her closeness. Who knew when he would ever be this close again.

As Lily trembled slightly, she whispered "Why do I feel drawn to you?" If he did not have stronger hearing than a regular human, Brax may not have heard her.

Without thinking, Braxton replied "It's the mate bond. Our souls, our inner essence, is pulled towards each other. We can't resist. It is not even conscious, but just fate that pulls together."

"Mates? I'm married Braxton, that isn't possible. I don't understand." Softer still, Lily sighed out "What am I doing?"

Braxton's eyes seemed to darken as Lily looked up. They flashed, then seemed to quickly fluctuate between the striking light silver and darker gray. Lily gasped, then turned sharply when she heard glasses shatter behind her.

When Lily turned back, the mystery man...Braxton...had vanished. As she looked around into the forest behind the brewery, she thought she might have seen a dark shadow in the distance. 

What was going on? 

Why was she shaking?

...What was this mate bond?