Chapter 11 - Hope

Braxton feels a whisper of strength return to his thoughts. He had been floating in a fog for the longest time, unaware of what had happened after defeating the alpha of the Kings Cross pack. He remembered having wounds all over his body, with a particularly nasty one on his flank. He couldn't remember ever having such a disjunct feeling, like he could not sense his body or his wolf anywhere. After the initial shock, or what seemed like shock, he had floated in a lost aura.

His first thought in a long time was of her. He could almost smell the caramel and coffee scent from the first time they met. Brax had not allowed himself to think about her, or her pull, for a long time. He had intentionally kept from going into town or putting himself into situations where he may encounter his Lily. Thinking of her made a warmth go through his mind and a tingle through his body, which was a shock, since he finally sensed something.

Lucas had warned him that getting too close to a human would impact his wolf in ways they didn't know...and maybe this was it. The last thing he really remembered was taking down the leader of the pack hitmen that was sent to their territory. One of the smaller and more "traditional" packs was upset that their members were leaving and transferring over to Braxton's group. He had warned their alpha that he needed to modernize in order to keep his younger pack members, but he had not listened. Thus, Braxton was seen as the cause of the other pack's losses and movement towards nonviability. Brax had known they were getting more upset, but had never imagined it would turn to violence, let alone violence at the scale of a full-on skirmish. Packs had fought with each other regularly in the past, forming alliances and breaking them to ensure pack success, but that was a thing of history. Now, violence was mostly interpersonal within (or between) the packs. There were other avenues in place for working out conflict between members and packs now. As Braxton felt his mind wandering he was brought back into a reality he often dreamt about.

He could almost hear her voice as well. Brax thought he heard Lily talking to him about how he needs to wake up. She doesn't understand things, but he is loved and needed. He feels her presence, her warmth, her pull as if she was next to him at that moment. 

He struggles upwards, feeling his body coming back together... the weakness that had become pervasive is lifting and he feels his wolf stirring and strengthening as well.

As Brax continues to struggle to feel his body and regain his senses, he starts to hear various voices and feel the presence of many people around him. Finally opening his eyes, Braxton sees close members of his pack surrounding him. 

He looks around the hospital room for Lily...but she isn't there. He must have just imagined her, but it was so real. He could have sworn her presence was there and it was what had pulled him and his wolf from the empty existence they had felt for so long.  

Amongst all the scents of his pack, he still feels like he can sense the caramel and coffee, with a sweet undertone, that haunts his dreams. Was she actually here?

The chatter breaks through his thoughts.

"We thought you would never awaken."

"Braxton, you are finally healing."

"We won the battle, you were amazing."

"It's been weeks."

"The pack has been making progress, but you were missed."

"You are finally awake."

"The injuries weren't too bad, we didn't know what to do."

"Uncle Brax. I was so scared."

Braxton finally stops it all with a growl. "What happened?"

The doctor steps forward. "Well son. You were injured quite badly in the battle. I can imagine why, since it was a surprise to be fully attacked in such a way when they had claimed it was just a meeting. Anyways, you defeated the other alpha, but fell into a coma. Your injuries should have healed quickly with your bloodline, but they didn't. We were unsure what to do, since there was no reason for you to stay injured or be in a coma. I called other packs and tried any ideas to help, but nothing worked."

"I've never had issues before."

The doctor continued, "We were worried that you would not wake up, that your wolf might have left you due to circumstances...or foul play. It was a shock when I was called up here. You're monitors had started going off the charts and the nurses noted rapid healing." 

The room turned back to greetings and discussing what had happened while Braxton had been in a coma, but he was only half listening. It sounded like some of the warriors were worried about his ability to lead, but he would deal with that later.

Braxton was aware when Lucas slipped into the room. Where had he been? His mate and kids were there, why was Lucas absent?

As people finally filed out of his room so that the doctor could check him over, Braxton called out to Lucas to stay. Once the doctor left, after telling Braxton he could leave when he was ready since he was fully healed already, Braxton turned to his friend.

Instead of asking about the pack or what he had missed, Braxton's first question to his cousin and Beta was instead "Was she here?"

After a pause, Lucas finally responded somewhat unsure "Yes." Rushing on, he adds "I know that you told us to never mention her or contact her, but I couldn't think of anything else. We had tried to wake you or bring back your wolf in so many ways and nothing worked. All I could think of was the bond and maybe your distance from your mate had more adverse affects than we thought."

Braxton nods. "So, she came and she is the reason I am awake?"

"Yes."

There was silence in the room. It stretched for a bit, as each was deep in their own thoughts.

Lucas thinks to mention something else though - Lily didn't have a ring on her finger anymore.