Gringotts' Treasure

1996

For the first time in weeks, Harry felt rested. He had spent the past six weeks in his small bedroom at Number Four, Privet Drive; each night tossing and turning on top of Dudley’s old worn blanket, trying to force his mind to let go of the image of his godfather falling silently through the veil in the Department of Mysteries. The attempts had been futile and Harry had mostly given up trying to sleep at all, though he did routinely find himself in his bed for a couple of hours each night, doing his best to let the memories go.

It wasn’t until Dumbledore had collected him and brought him, without extraneous conversation, to the Burrow that Harry finally found elusive sleep. And that was only due to Mrs. Weasley’s rather strong Sleeping Draught, which had put him to sleep the instant his head hit the pillow after dinner.

Mrs. Weasley had stuffed him almost to bursting with an assortment of delicious foods and immediately following his last bite had ordered him firmly to bed, ignoring all protests from Ron and Ginny. Too exhausted to argue, Harry had followed Mrs. Weasley obediently up the stairs and into the cot made up for him, not even bothering to change his clothes.

Mrs. Weasley had fussed over the pillows and blankets before handing him the potion and telling him to “Drink it down, there’s a good boy”. Harry drank it without protest, and as he laid his dark head on the soft pillow, he felt a gentle hand smoothing over his brow before drifting into a mercifully dreamless sleep.

Harry moved his head to the side and fumbled for his glasses on the stand next to his cot without opening his eyes. He settled the black-rimmed spectacles on the bridge of his nose and found Ron staring at him from his own bed against the opposite wall. Harry blinked, letting his early morning brain adjust to the site of the tall redhead peering at him.

“Morning, Ron.”

Ron grinned and pushed himself up from his bed. “Come on, mate. Even I’m not this lazy. Mum’s made us wait breakfast for you, so get up!” he commanded and shoved Harry lightly on the shoulder as Harry sat up.

Harry swiped at Ron, but his friend dodged him easily on his way out the door, calling over his shoulder, “Jiffy up, Harry. Hermione’s here and she’s right anxious to see you,” as he slipped out the bedroom door. Harry grinned, his heart feeling a bit lighter with the news that Hermione was waiting, presumably with Ginny. It felt great to be back with his friends.

After Harry had hurriedly changed clothes, he padded down the stairs toward the kitchen. Harry’s face nearly cracked with the force of his smile at the sight that awaited him. Not only were Ron, Ginny and Hermione waiting for him, but Fred and George and Remus, were gathered around the breakfast table as well; their own grins matched Harry’s as they watched him walk toward them.

Mrs. Weasley allowed no time for greetings though, as she chivvied Harry into a chair in front of a plate full of eggs and bangers. She loaded some buttered toast onto the already overflowing plate and filled a large glass with pumpkin juice and then shushed all those around the table, telling them to leave Harry to his breakfast.

They didn’t, of course. As soon as Mrs. Weasley left the table, Fred and George grabbed at Harry with enthusiastic glee, pumping both of his arms simultaneously while he tried frantically to stay on his chair. When the twins finally stopped shaking him, Harry righted his glasses and grinned around the table at his friends.

Ginny and Ron were laughing at their brothers’ antics, while Hermione was smiling indulgently at all of them. Remus was smiling as well, though his eyes seemed sad as he watched Harry. Harry felt a pang then and a sudden surge of guilt as he thought of the friend Remus had lost and yet another stab as he realized he hadn't spared much thought for the pain Remusmust have been experiencing these past few weeks.