Nudges from Remus

1981

“Severus!” James heard Lily scolding from the kitchen, “Remus will be here any minute.”

“Leave him alone, Lils. He’s trying to teach Harry to say ‘Powdered Lichen’,” James told her with a chuckle as he listened to Severus coaching his son in the finer points of potion making, though the little boy was more interested in transferring plastic frogs in and out of the child-sized cauldron that was sitting on the low table in front of Severus.

“Must you continue to use that asinine moniker?” Severus asked as he always did, though the question came in various forms.

“Language!” Lily called from the kitchen.

Severus pursed his lips and then made a little oomph-ing sound as one of Harry’s frogs struck him on the nose, making the little boy giggle. “Brilliant, Harry,” James congratulated him and Harry grinned a toothy grin.

Harry held out a hand to Severus, waiting for his father to return the errant toy. Severus sighed, retrieved the frog from the floor and handed it obediently to Harry. Harry immediately threw it again, making James break into hearty laughter.

Severus, shaking his head in mild amusement, reached down for his boy and pulled him upwards and into his arms. James stood and held out his hands toward Harry. Harry clung tightly to his father and it was James’ turn to sigh. “Come on, Harry. Time to get dressed for Uncle Remus,” he coaxed, but Harry wouldn’t budge. Lily came in from the kitchen then and reached her arms out as well to Harry.

“Come along, sweetie.” But even for Lily, Harry didn’t move an inch, content in his father’s arms. Lily shook her head, though she was smiling. “I suppose he’s fine as he is.” She did use her wand though to clean the little boy’s smudgy hands and face.

Severus held Harry still while Lily spelled him clean and James couldn’t help noticing the smug look on the man’s face and he wondered if Severus even realized he was looking so ridiculously pleased with himself. But James didn’t begrudge him the feelings; Severus had come a long way and although he knew Severus would never admit to a similar feeling, James enjoyed their newfound friendship.

There a was a quiet knock on the front door and with a quick glance at James and Severus to ensure that they were ready, Lily went to let Remus in. When Remus followed Lily into the parlor, James immediately grinned and greeted him, “Moony!” The two thumped one another soundly as they hugged and James quickly asked, “How did everything go?”

Remus shrugged but then turned at the childish shout, “We!” with a grin on his worn face.

“Harry!”

Harry toddled over to Remus and excitedly lifted his little hands in the air, clenching and unclenching them into fists with impatience as he waited for Remus to lift him. Remus obliged immediately, planting a kiss on the toddler’s cheek, tickling him gently. Harry squealed in delight.

“How’s my big boy?” Remus asked the decidedly little boy. Harry watched the werewolf with solemn eyes and Remus tousled the black hair with affection. Then, as if he had just remembered his manners, Remus turned to where Severus was standing near the other doorway and offered politely, “Good evening, Severus.”

Severus nodded curtly, “Lupin.”

James knew Severus was annoyed that Harry had gone so easily and swiftly to Remus. But jealously was another emotion Severus would not have admitted to and he covered his feelings well as he watched Moony holding his son. James doubted he could have done as well himself.