Finding the Words

1996

With its usual attitude, the Floo spit Harry out onto Remus’ hearth rug; Remus looked up in surprise from the newspaper he was reading. “Harry?” Hiis eyes sharpened as he put his paper down and asked anxiously, “What’s happened?”

“Why didn’t you tell me you were leaving?” Harry demanded right back and Remus’ face relaxed.

“Severus didn’t give me a chance this morning,” Remus explained, clearly expecting Harry’s anger to defuse at these words.

“You could have told me before,” Harry accused and Remus pursed his lips, most likely at Harry’s tone. Harry folded his arms across his chest, too upset about everything to worry much about being disrespectful.

“The Headmaster only told me this morning, Harry,” Remus told him, his voice hardening a bit, but Harry paid no attention.

“Where are you going?” Harry asked intently and Remus shook his head.

“It’s Order business Harry, and you know perfectly well that I can’t tell you where I’m going.”

“Are you kidding me, Remus? If Sirius would have had his way, I’d have been inducted already!” Harry retorted angrily.

“Stop it, Harry,” Remus ordered abruptly, his tone unyielding. “I’m not going to argue with you. Especially about Sirius. And you don’t need to know anything else about where I’m going.”

“You’re as bad as he is,” Harry finally snorted, making it perfectly plain who he was as he glared resentfully at his friend.

Remus sighed and turned away toward the Floo. Harry tensed, but Remus only called for the kitchens and ordered a service of tea and a plate of crumpets.

“Where is Severus?” Remus asked as he poured himself a cup of tea, after the little house elf’s face had disappeared from the flames.

Harry shrugged. “I suppose he’s still in the Potions classroom,” he answered, acting as if he was unconcerned by his father’s whereabouts as he slouched comfortably in the chair facing the Floo.

Remus straightened from the refreshments, the teacup forgotten on the table. “You suppose?” he echoed and then his brown eyes narrowed. “Does Severus know you’re here?”

Harry looked down at his knees. “Erm…”

“Harry,” Remus scolded, exasperated. “What did you do?” he asked, folding his arms across his chest. He raised his eyebrows and waited impatiently for Harry to explain.

“I overheard him and Malfoy talking about whatever plot they have with Dumbledore and Malfoy said he knew you were leaving…and he didn’t seem pleased that Malfoy knew about it from some source…I was worried about you. And, he’s telling secrets to Malfoy!”

Remus seemed to glean at least some of the pertinent information from Harry’s muddled explanation as he nodded thoughtfully, but his first question caught Harry completely off guard. “Do you know that you’re not actually calling Severus anything anymore…well, besides ‘he’?”

“Huh?” Harry asked, bewildered by Remus’ question.

Remus sat in the chair opposite Harry, a slight frown on his face. “Harry, I know you’re struggling with everything’s that happened, and you have a right to be, but…Harry, can you honestly tell me that you thought it would be a good idea to leave Severus’ classroom without telling him?”