chapter 6: ball

Thranduil himself could only think of Idhrenel. He had heard noises in the woods and as a result, sent out his best warriors to fight of whatever entered. They followed the noises until they came into contact with Idhrenel and her guards. He noticed that some looked unrecognisable due to being covered in thick Orc blood and deep wounds mostly to the leg or arm, luckily none to the stomach of neck. It was good news from the Greenwood healers that none of the guards had passed from the wounds and were going to make a speedy recovery. Luckily to the Prince his future wife was still alive. 

The day of the ball was both a terrible and a wondrous one. It was a ball as Thranduil had experienced it hundreds, even thousands of times. People came together, drank wine, chatted, showed themselves at court. He was nervous to see Idhrenel again as the last time he had seen her she had collapsed from exhaustion after being ambushed by Orcs. He sat at his father's side at the end of the festival hall and watched the festivities with the wine goblet in his hand. His gaze glided over the celebrants as he searched for Idhrenel, who was still getting ready for the ball in her chamber.

"I hear that you have developed quite an interest in Lord Celeborn's daughter, thats good news." Oropher remarked. "Idhrenel. Her name is Idhrenel." For some reason, Thranduil was annoyed that his father had not called her by name. "It is time for you to secure our line," Oropher stressed once again. "Life is not all about influence and politics, Father," Thranduil objected. "For you, even a celebration like this is an opportunity to show your power to the world." Oropher gave him a stern look from the side. Thranduil lowered his eyes. "I'm sorry."

It was not appropriate to remind his father that there were other times. A time when he had enjoyed a happy marriage with Thranduil's mother and lived happily ever after in Doriath under the reign of Elu Thingol and Melian of the Maia. But suddenly Oropher sighed and his eyes softened. "No, you are right, son," he confessed. "Why do I even hold such celebrations when I do not even enjoy them? Go and enjoy yourself."

Thranduil sat still for a moment and kept his eyes on his father. But Oropher had put on the mask of the stern, reserved king again and did not let on what might be going on inside him. Thranduil decided that it was indeed time that at least he found some joy in this celebration. The wine was too good not to enjoy it! He went among the revellers. Whispers followed him, but he did not care. Instead, he searched for Idhrenel with determination and found her standing alone as she was still trying to pull through due to her fright of the ambush. Thranduil had sent her his choice of clothes for the evening. He had chosen a silver robe with white gems embroidered on it. Idhrenel had then chosen a different gown, a golden one with a long train and a gold belt. On her blonde hair sat a bronze hoop that enclosed a ruby above her forehead. "You look magnificent, Idhrenel," he greeted her as he took her hand and breathed a kiss on it. She curtsied and blushed slightly. "Mae govannen, Ernil Thranduil. (Well met, Prince Thranduil.) Thank you very much."

Then he said, "I must apologise for the yesterday. It was really very tactless of me, I should have chosen a better route." Idhrenel smiled,  "Oh, it's all right, I'm here and that's all that matters." she reassured him laughing. "You even acceded to my request and told me what you were going to wear that evening; it was actually just a joke." Thranduil looked down at her with a playful indignation. "So you only wanted to make a fool of me?" She hid her laughter behind a fan and pretended to be flirtatious "It obviously worked. Look how people are already looking over at us. You in your noble garb, silver as the moon, and me, radiant as the sun! Would you like to ask me for a dance now?" Again he reached for her hand and bowed deeply before her. "Would the noble lady care to do me the honour?" 

"If you ask me so nicely, I cannot refuse you." Idhrenel chuckled as she held her hand out. He gave her his arm and she linked arms. Yet it was she who led him to the dance floor. She elegantly draped her train over one arm, then turned to face him. He could well imagine the envious looks of all the other ladies hoping for their chance to dance with him. But he paid all his attention to the beautiful elleth in his arms and was not willing to waste a single thought on politics. They danced to the music for a long time, circling each other like the moon circles the sun and never lost sight of each other. They had long since been made room for them and Thranduil felt his father's watchful eyes resting on him. He pushed the thought of him aside.

"What are your interests? ", she then wanted to know: "We might share some." He raised an eyebrow, not quite sure of that fact, but still hurried to answer: "Well, I finished my training a few years ago and now I sometimes join the guards during the patrols.", he told her. "Which weapon do you prefer?" she asked. Intrigued by her interest, he continued to tell: "Obviously I was trained in archery like all the members of our army, but I think I am very comfortable with swords."

"As am I!" she exclaimed. A surprised expression must have been painted on his face, because Idhrenel tilted her head slightly to the side: "You do not believe me?" she asked. "Of course I do.", he quickly answered raising his hands as if he surrenders: "I just found it difficult to imagine such banath (beauty) in an armour, fiercely holding a sword alongside brute daugon (warriors).". 

He then lowered his hands and gently traced a line on her cheekbone, as he saw that she had lowered her gaze, biting her lip again. He found it looked really sweet. However she looked him in the eyes again and he could see sparkling amusement in them. "Maybe I would not beat you, but I would definitely be a formidable opponent", she said laughing with a prideful look. He also laughed and then returned her teasing: "I have never been beaten. Only by my adar (father), although he has some thousand years more experience", he told her. "Well, Thranduil, there is always a first time", she fired back cheekily, but then shortly after her eyes widened and she put a hand in front of her mouth, probably fearing that she had gone too far. "Gohena nin (forgive me), it was not my place", she whispered. Thranduil slowly reached for her hand, that was still covering her lips and held it in his: " Ú-moe edhored (there is nothing to forgive),Idhrenel", he assured her. 

Idhrenel was beaming happily at him all the time and obviously enjoyed every moment with him. "I love you," he whispered in her ear. She paused in her dance and looked up at him in wonder. "Oh, meleth nín, what a fool you are! Yes, I love you. Do you hear? I love you!" Idhrenel smiled as she looked into Thranduil's eyes. "Really?!", he asked in surprise. His head was spinning. He had long since forgotten where he was. She just took his face between her hands and kissed him. "Really," she whispered as she gently stroked his cheek. "Will you marry me?" he asked before his courage ran out. "Nothing would please me more than to spend eternity with you." Overjoyed, she smiled at him. Love shone from her eyes.

"Meleth nín," he whispered and enjoyed the sound of these words on his tongue. "I love you," He repeated as they continued to twirl around on the dance floor. He then sighed, "I know that this is an arranged marriage.. but I love you so much more than that.." Idhrenel stopped him and she pulled the Prince into another kiss, a deeper one, a one in which she poured all her emotions into. "Me too, Meleth nín." (my love)