chapter 14: little leaf

Authors note: I read somewhere that Elvish pregnancies last for around 12-16 months. So I decided on using 12 months for this story.

Idhrenel was now 11 months pregnant and she and her husband Thranduil were now ready to meet their new son. At their ultrasound when she was 6 months pregnant, she found out their baby was gonna be a boy. Their eyes filled up with happy tears, now at nearly 12 months Idhrenel was ready to see her son. In the middle of the night, she felt what it looked like contractions, she leaned over the bed to let out pained breaths. She felt pain ripple through her body and she couldn't help but give out a loud gasp as she tried to wake up her husband. 

Her husband shot up and said, "Idhrenel, are you okay?" He then panicked, not sure what to do. "No, I think he's coming! I'm sure that was my first contraction!" said Idhrenel, as Thranduil put a hand on her back supporting her. Not too long later, he rushed out of the bedroom door shouting commands at his guards who were on their floor. He then ordered them to get a healer who would help with the birthing process. Meanwhile, Idhrenel was trying to sit upright when she felt another contraction. A healer named, Edweniel, raced into the room and immediately got to work. Edweniel helped Idhrenel to change into some more suitable clothes and she was instructed to then put her legs up and to the side- so it would be easier to push the baby out. 

"Ok, when the next contraction comes, I need you to push." Edweniel commanded, and Idhrenel felt a contraction and began to push and the baby began to crown, "Ok, the baby is crowning, push again." Edweniel smiled. Another healer put her hand on the Queen's back, whispering sweet things in her ear to hopefully block out the pain.  "Come on, you got this my Queen!" Maeluieth whispered in her ear. Idhrenel pushed again with tears streaming down her face and the head came out, "The head is out, now push for the shoulders." Edweniel ordered. Idhrenel pushed until the shoulders came out, "One more push." Maeluieth added, she pushed one more time and felt relief wash over her body, she then heard their baby boy cry. "You did it! Your little boy is here!" says Maeluieth while crying, Edweniel put the baby onto  Idhrenel's chest. 

Almost immediately Idhrenel stroked her baby's head, noticing his already growing small strands of blonde hair. He was a split image of his father she thought to herself. Thranduil was pacing the corridor outside as the Elves believed that the father shouldn't be in the room when his wife was giving birth. His head was in his hands and his hands were trembling. He stopped when Maeluieth stuck her head off their bedroom. "M-My King, " She paused, "You may come in now." The King wasted no time and pushed his way into the room. He then stopped as he looked over towards their bed and saw his lovely wife holding a baby wrapped in a light blue blanket. Idhrenel was cooeing and whispering to the baby, when she looked up and saw Thranduil smiling as he watched from the door.

He then walked closer and placed a light kiss on Idhrenel's cheek then a more passionate deep kiss on her lips. It was Edweniel who broke the silence asking, "What are you going to name your child?" Thranduil looked down at his wife, realising that they had not come up with a name. "Legolas," Idhrenel breathed, her bright blue eyes sparkling, her long blonde hair plastered to her face. She paused briefly, exhausted from the struggle to bring their child into the world, before continuing, her tired face aglow, "our little leaf. It is a perfect name mell-nín is it not?" Thranduil smiled down at her, and the angelic little bundle in her arms. It is not a name he would choose, but it is indeed perfect. He drinks in the scene, imprinting it on his memory forever, this little piece of heaven. "Legolas.. Legolas Greenleaf.." He whispered to himself.