chapter 39: picnic

"Are you sure you know where we're going?" Legolas questioned as he clung onto his mothers left hand. "We're almost there," Idhrenel replied as she readjusted her backpack, which held some blankets and as much food as she could stuff into it. "We better be, I didn't wake up early for nothing," Legolas mumbled. "If a little before noon is early..." His mother retorted, earning a huff from her son. The Queen and Prince had been walking through the wood for quite some time when Legolas asked, "How did you even find a place this far out?"

Idhrenel smiled as she looked up at the bright blue sky through the trees before she felt her son tug on her arm. "Your father took me here when we first met, we needed to be somewhere remote. Somewhere were all the young beautiful elleths wouldn't find him. They would always chase him." She mumbled the last part and Legolas just laughed as he couldn't imagine his father being chased around by young elleths.

They continued to trudge through the wood until Legolas spotted the end of the tall-trees. Endless grassy plains went as far as he could see, aside from the creek just a few meters beside them. "Wow," Legolas expressed, in awe of the sight before him. He dropped his mother's hand as he began to run around the fields, letting the tip of his fingertips drape through the long grass. He looked back to see that his mother was seated nearby with the blanket already spread out. There she began unpacking her bag underneath one of the many luxuriant weeping willow trees surrounding them. "This place is so cool." Legolas shouted as he began helping his mother with her backpack.

Once settled, the mother and son sat around the immense amount of food and dove in. Within about ten minutes, the majority of it had already disappeared. "You brought chocolate strawberries!" Legolas exclaimed, reaching out to take one, only to be swatted away by his mother's hand. "Let's save them for later," she suggested, "I'm getting kind of full." Legolas sighed before having one last look at them before his mother snapped the lid shut. Whilst Idhrenel laid her head down for a quick nap, Legolas scanned around the field before he rested his head on his mother's chest. They laid in that position for a while, listening as the wind blew the tree's leaves and the stream flowed near them. For Legolas, this was by far his favourite place ever. Even more than the waterfall! Idhrenel loved coming here as no one else knew about it so they could be alone and she could have time to feel like a child again without the pressure of being Queen.

"The flowers here are nice," Legolas observed, earning a slight nod from his mother, who was nearly falling asleep. He plucked a few from the ground and admired them before weaving the stems together. Back in Greenwood, he used to make tiaras out of things like sticks and flowers with some of the elflings. He pulled out dozens of flowers around him. Pink, yellow, pink, yellow. He worked for almost an hour to perfect it, occasionally placing the crown on a sleeping Idhrenel's head to ensure it would fit around her blonde waves. "What...are you doing?" she mumbled, slowly sitting up and rubbing her eyes. Legolas simply laid the crown on top of her head with a grin. "A crown for the Queen, and my mum." They continued to sit in a comfortable silence together, admiring the endless meadows, sneaking glances at each other every once in a while- which caused Legolas to fall into a fit of laughter and then his mother laughed. Legolas eventually rested his head back against his mother's chest, listening closely to her now rapidly beating heart. He grinned and continued brushing his thumb over her knuckles, also breathing in the scent of her shampoo. "Thanks for taking me here," Legolas nearly whispered, "I love you."

"I love you, too," she replied through her beaming smile. She reached up to feel the crown that her son had crafted once again, then to the soft grass and plucked the first flower she saw. She then brought her hand to Legolas's face and brushed a strand of hair behind his ear only to place the fragile yellow flower behind it as well. "How about we pick some flowers to give to Ada.. hmm?" Idhrenel questioned as she stroked her son's long blonde hair. She got a yes as her son immediately got up and started looking around for flowers to pick. "His favourite colour is red.. " Legolas started, "so I'll get him some red ones, nana help.." Idhrenel chuckled to herself as she stood up, making extra care to not trip up on her long dress. Legolas signalled for her to come closer to him, "I'm coming.. we have time.." She smiled as she made her way through the long grass to her son.

There they stayed for a while collecting any red flowers that they could find in the field. "Don't stray, Legolas." Idhrenel shouted as she noticed her son trailing further away. She counted the flowers in her hand before she noticed Legolas standing next to her. "I've got loads of flowers" He said as he held up his hands, which were covered with different types of red flowers. "Give them to me and then we can head back to give them to ada." She then held her hand out for her son to hold onto before they headed back to the castle.