Ø9

We put all the shit that just happened behind us, I mean Gordie did say we're going to see a dead kid, it should be a party.

Vern and Teddy were in front of us. It was just me, Gordie and Chris.

"So Gordoe, still writing those shit stories?" I joked, putting on a sarcastic face. He shook his head, "Yup."

I smiled at him, "good, I see in the future that you'll be veeeery successful" I waved my hands around like I was doing magic. "Yeah, okay" he shook his head, laughing.

We all paused for minute, walking in silence. "D'you think I'm weird?" Gordie asked, looking at me and Chris. "Definitely" Chris giggled, I nodded my head, also giggling.

"No man, seriously. Am I weird?" He looked down at his shoes, "yeah but so what; everybody's is weird" Chris answered.

"Yeah I mean, look at me! Hanging out with you guys" I rolled my eyes and laughed. They shook their heads, "yeah you're pretty weird for that" Gordie said, raising his eyebrows.

We all laughed, "you guys ready for school?" Chris asked, looking down at me. "Yeah." We both answered.

"Junior high, you know what that means. We'll all be split up by next June." He looked at Gordie.

I was genuinely confused, "what do you mean?" Gordie looked confused too, "yeah, why would that happen?"

"It's not gonna be like grammar-school, that's why. You'll be taking your college-courses and me, Teddy and Vern will be in the shop-courses with the rest of the retarders making ashtrays and bird houses."

"You're gonna meet a lot of new guys, smart guys." He finished, looking at me.

I though about what Chris said, I don't care if I'm in the retarders courses. I just wanna be with my friends... and well, Chris. "That's bullshit, Chris" I said, kicking up stones.

"Yeah, meet a lot of pussies is what you mean." Gordie said, looking down. I shook my head in agreement, me and Gordie both had the same mindset. "No man. Don't say that, don't even think that." Chris said, looking at me then Gordie.

"Not going to meet a bunch of pussies, forget it!" Gordie said, starting to raise his voice. "Well then you're an asshole!" Chris yelled.

"What's asshole about wanting to be with your friends!" Gordie argued back. "It's asshole if your friends drag you down! You hang with us, you'll just be another wise guy with shit for brains." Chris argued back.

"He's right though Gordie, you could be a real writer someday!" I said, forgetting about me being apart of Chris's point. "Fuck writing! I don't wanna be a writer! It's stupid! It's a stupid waste of time!" Gordie said, kicking the up the ground.

"That's your dad talking."

"Bullshit."

"Bulltrue. I know how your dad feels about you, he doesn't give a shit about you! Denny was the one who cares about you, and don't try and tell me different. You're just a kid, Gordie."

I'm starting to realize how much me and Chris actually do care about Gordie, it's kinda like we're his... parents? I mean, we'd be better then the ones he has now that's for sure.

"Oh gee, thanks, dad!" Gordie said, sarcastically. Chris stopped walking, "I wish the hell I was your dad, you wouldn't be going around talking about taking these stupid shop-courses if I was."

"It's like god gave you something, man. All those stories that you can make up. An' he said: This is what we got you, kid. Try not to lose it." We started walking again as Chris was talking, he really has a way with words.

"But kids lose everything unless there's someone there to look after them" I finished Chris's sentence, making him look at me, sorta in shock.

"As much as I want the group to stay together, you got to do this, Gordoe." I said, walking to the other side of him. "You could make it big someday, really fucking big."

"Hell, if I could do something right in my life or have your talent, Gordie... I'd do everything in my power to make it happen and we both know I don't have either of those. So if doing everything in my power will make you get there... I'll do it. Even if it starts with telling you you're not taking those stupid shop-courses" I finished giving him a serious look, turning it into a smile and walking up to Vern and Teddy.

Chris's pov:

We watched North walk away, she cared about Gordie just as much as I did. Gordie looked a lot less upset now, like he's going to listen to us and take the college-courses.

There is no waaay I'm letting Nor take the shop-courses, she's smart, she just doesn't have to use it.

"That's another thing you two have in common" Gordie giggled looking away from Nor and back at me.

I was genuinely confused, "what?" He shook his head, "you both really have a way with words" he finished, as we were starting to walk again.

I shook my head and laughed, "I guess you're right... hey do you think she likes me back?".

"Seriously? Open your eyes, Chris! It's obvious!" He said, making me feel like an idiot. It really isn't obvious, North is a hard person to read.

"Mmm I don't know, Gordie. I mean, look at her!" I pointed at her. "She's perfect".

Gordie looked at me, his eyebrows were lowered. "Chris, North isn't peeerfect" he said, putting emphasis on perfect. "And you know she would hate being called that".

I sighed, "I know but... she's perfect to me". He shook his head, "that's not what I mean, she's definitely perfect but she's not stereotypical perfect." He looked at her then back at me, "she's North Jones perfect".

I smiled, it almost sounded like Gordie had a thing for Nor. Then again, they were like brother and sister. Always there for each other, always getting into scraps (verbal and physical), they stayed at each other's houses all the time.

And not once had they ever showed feelings for each other. I mean, Gordie is nervous around girls that he likes. He isn't around North, so I never had to worry about my best friend stealing my girl, you know?

"Yeah, she is... North Jones perfect" I looked at her then Gordie. "You like her a lot, huh" he chuckled. "Yeah, a lot" I said, scratching the back of my neck.

"Can you blame me though? She has that long dark brown hair that shines in the sun and those eyes, hell those eyes. The kind of eyes that when you look into them, you could get lost. Their like starry night surrounded by forest of green." I finished, wishing she were

mine.