hopeless

Chapter five

hopeless

✽✨

"You look horrible, did you eat?"

Flora rolled her eyes and shut her locker. "Geez, thanks." She turned to Lydia. "You really know how to give someone a compliment."

Lydia's lips turned into a frown when she saw the state her best friend was in. Flora's face has visibly sunken and the circles under her eyes were darker than the day before. She looked like a corpse.

"We're worried about you." The strawberry blonde admitted and followed her into the classroom. "I know you stopped going to the cafeteria."

"Because their cooking sucks," Flora answered, not turning to face her. She dropped her books, letting the loud 'thud' echo through the room while sitting down. "I look horrible because Liam had a party in Scott's house and Corey made the whole house see one of the Ghost Riders." She grumbled, opening her textbook. "We barely can focus on a person we knew, how do you want to save half of the school?"

Lydia shut her mouth and sat down. She skeptically watched as her best friend tried to read something in the book. Flora never told when something was bothering her but this was the first time when everyone could see that she was struggling.

"Last night I remembered how much I love your cooking." Lydia tried to bring up food talk. She recognized when her friend stopped taking care of herself and she wanted to help her. "Maybe you could make the pasta salad again?"

Flora kept her eyes on the papers in front of her, not bothering to look up. "Kitchen is a danger zone in my house." She mumbled. "I can send you the recipe."

The Banshee's lips turned down when she heard her answer. "What do you mean a 'war zone'?"

The blonde shut her eyes, mentally slapping herself for talking too much. "Had a fight with my dad yesterday." She admitted, refusing to look up. "I said some bad words, he said some bad words and then he slapped me."

It disturbed Lydia that Flora seemed so calm about it. "And you're okay with that?"

"Went through worse." She shrugged and flipped to another page. "To be honest, I would punch myself as well."

Lydia hated seeing the girl she grew up, evolving into a sad and self-destructive woman. She knew that she suffered through a lot but it seemed that she could push through everything.

"I think Malia hates me," Flora spoke up after minutes of silence. "I'm in love with someone who got erased from existence while she's in love with me." She let out a sigh and closed the book. "Can't say I blame her."

"She will understand." Lydia tried to be supportive.

Flora leaned against her hand. "It's not her responsibility to understand." She stood up for the werecoyote. "It seems like I used her."