Glad We Met | PART 1 of 2

Prompt: Spencer meeting/reuniting with his long-distance partner for the first time.

A/N: I wanted to write the softest possible thing for my dear friend @yallmindifigoextinct, and this is what happened! It's a Spencer Reid x Fem!Reader pairing with the only one bed trope. This chapter is entirely fluff and is SFW. It's my second submission for the "Only 1 Bed" event by @imaginingnthemargins, and it might be the cutest thing I've had the pleasure of writing. I hope you enjoy it!

Chapter Warnings: This is an only one bed fic, but this chapter is SFW!

Story Summary: Reader is in a long-distance relationship with Spencer, but they've never met in person. They meet for the first time, with plans to spend a couple days in the city together. All is good until their hotel has a mix up: they're not getting the two rooms they expected.

Word Count: 7.5k

----------------------------------------

Normally, I didn't mind flying alone or going somewhere new. In fact, the flights were usually more peaceful that way. I could put my headphones on, tune out the rest of the world, and watch the clouds in the sky as we passed by them.

A new destination was simply a new adventure with new sights and sounds; it was a place to try new things and meet new people. But today, there was one person in particular who I was a little nervous to meet.

His name was Spencer.

We started talking over a year ago, and it had been many moons since then, but we'd actually never seen each other in person.

We used to email each other from time to time; it began when I noticed a journal he'd published, and I emailed him to ask about it. It was a little scary - I'd never really reached out to anyone for their work before - but I was so glad that I'd done it.

One thing that had been clear to me from the beginning was that he was someone who was very easy to talk to. I didn't feel like he was a stranger, and I never felt as if what I had to say was any less important to him.

He was always kind to me, even when we hadn't known each other for very long.

Eventually, Spencer asked me if he could send me a letter.

He sheepishly admitted that he was horrible with technology, and that his inbox filled with emails from me was the only thing drawing him to his computer. The revelation made me blush. While I was flattered to think that I was the reason he would willingly struggle with his computer so that he could talk to me, I was rueful that he'd endured it for so long.

So, I gave him my PO box.

The thought of getting a letter from him made me smile. Perhaps it was the way he preferred a more old-fashioned approach to communication. Maybe it was because it felt more romantic to have something sealed and handwritten by him. Nevertheless, when I received his first letter in the mail, I was filled with a fondness I hadn't known I was capable of at the sight of the scribbled, tiny words addressed to me on the page.

I still had it.

I kept every single one of them.

They were the most special things to me, because after that first letter came many, many more. And with each letter we exchanged, I learned a bit more about him.

Like how he was a huge Star Trek fan, and a lover of coffee; so much so that there was a perpetual cup of it in his hands. He also grew up underneath the Vegas sun, but travelled for work and called DC home.

He had a penchant for learning and knowledge, and it shined through in almost every letter due to his enthusiasm for anything he wrote about.

The topics we covered were endless – nothing was off limits, and I never felt like I had to hide anything from him. We just let the conversation flow naturally wherever it took us. And I loved how easy it was to be myself with him.