This Darkness Inside of Us

Prompt(s):
1. Hybristophilia: Arousal to the knowledge that one's partner has committed a heinous act or crime (Bonnie & Clyde Syndrome)
2. unsub spencer and his house spouse (reader) where reader uses their power in the bau to misdirect everyone from spencer's crimes while slowly realizing that they want to get in on the action
3. basically spencer isn't in the bau and quit after prison to actually be a bad guy because he really liked hurting people

A/N: this shit is dark as fuck.... but I'm very very proud of it :)
Prompts 2 and 3 are ideas from my friend @rilloai who very generously lent me a hand in coming up with a storyline for prompt 1. This work was written as part of a standing writing challenge on @imaginingnthemargin's discord!

Warnings: ***Dead dove do not eat, allusions to murder and descriptions of death/murder, blood, Dark!Spencer, Unsub!Spencer, darkfic, Dark!Reader, choking, degradation, masturbating (fem), fingering, unprotected sex/vaginal penetration, creampie, nipple stimulation, Doctor kink, hybristophilia (see prompts), oral sex (fem receiving), underwear and shirt are ripped open during consensual sex, canon depictions of what happened in prison, Spencer poisons drugs

Summary: Reader's life starts to change when her former teammate and partner Dr. Reid is released from prison. As time goes on, she begins to see how much prison changed him, but the closer she gets to the truth, the more drawn in she is.

Word Count: 9.9k

----------------------------------------

Things took a turn for the worst when Doctor Reid was admitted to prison. I hated Cat Adams for the shit she put him through. He didn't deserve any of it, and it irreversibly changed him. The man I loved was almost unrecognizable now. The life had been sucked out of him and his insides were replaced by a black void. Gone were the days where he would smile, or animatedly contribute to conversation.

She ruined him, and I hated her for it. He would never be the same again, and the world suffered a great loss that day. But it wasn't just me who suffered. It was the team too.

Each one of us had been crushed by anguish when he was framed for murder, and we all felt the weight of his absence every time we sat at the round table for briefings without him. We felt it on the plane too. His long legs no longer occupied the couch cushions of the jet for a quick nap on flights home. None of us sat there anymore because it was for him. It felt wrong to sit in the space that had once been implicitly his.

He was able to sleep anywhere; that was one of the differences between me and Doctor Reid. While he slept on the jet I used to read or talk with our team, because I was never one to fall asleep on a whim like he could.

But these days I doubted he slept much at all.

Prison had broken him. When I went to visit him, his normally dark undereye circles were even more prominent. His appearance had fallen apart, and it took some time to adjust to the facial hair that had grown on him. Before, I'd never seen him with more than a day's worth of stubble, but that was different now. And that was hardly the worst way prison had changed him.

Although he put on a brave face for me, I could tell he hated it there. I didn't blame him. I knew I'd never be able to survive in a place like that. Doctor Reid wasn't really one to survive there either, but he was making it work, and that kept me going. Because I knew he'd seen enough trauma in our line of work, it helped to prepare him for the shit he'd see within those four concrete walls.

The time he'd spent in jail felt like a losing battle. The case wasn't working out, and I wondered if there would ever come a day where they'd let him out. But proving a felon innocent hardly took the top priority spot in a courtroom. Still, I had to hang onto faith that it would work out. Fiona was doing her job as best she could, and she worked tirelessly around the clock for us all.