VIII. One Shot

Over the shallow mountains of gold, Nikki wandered as they waited. It shouldn't be long, they had the element of surprise and the curse on their side. But the silence was killing her.

If she had been allowed to lead the men, she would have, as over the years she found out it was better to do something yourself if you wanted it done right. Every time the men had been left to their own devices chaos had ensued.

During her search for a distraction she found herself searching for Jack across the cave floor. More often than not she had found him knee deep in gold searching for something of value, never once looking back at her.

So Nikki took the chance to finally study him. She had been too shocked during their first meeting and too distracted during her time in the brig, but now with no loitering eyes on her and nothing else to do but sit and wait, Nikki claimed the opportunity to play spot the difference against her memories.

Jack was broader, his shoulders had gained mass although he carried himself just the same, still aggressively self confident and relaxed. More trinkets had been undoubtedly stolen and tied into his hair, and there were also new additions to the collection of scars and tattoos just on his face alone; from the distance she was stood at she could see the blackened skin and discolouration in his jaw bone.

What had he lived though? It was a thought Nikki had found herself wondering more than once over the past couple of nights. As the moon shone down and the skin melted away from her bones, she had sought out the solitude of the crows nest and wondered, sometimes aloud, where had he been and how had they not heard word of his survival?

Nicolette ducked under a low passageway, her grip on an uneven piece of rock helping her steady her footing, and she now had two options going forward; to the left which led to Jack or right which led past the small pools of crystal water and back to Hector.

It was always too easy for her to be tempted by curiosity.

"Not lost your love for anything shiny I see?" The words leaked from between her lips before she had a chance to think about what she was doing.

Jack, startled by the voice, jumped up straight and locked eyes with her over his shoulder. A smirk appeared almost instantly, Jack's gold teeth glistening in the low light, but Nikki's face stayed emotionless.

"Nor you." Jack replied, gesturing to the red and gold coined gypsy skirt tied around her waist. "If I remember correctly, it was just one of the things we had in common."

Nicolette took a risk and wearily took a few steps closer to Jack. "Oh?" She pondered, smirking. "There were others?" She heard Jack begin to chuckle under his breath and she suddenly had the thought to check if Hector were watching. Luckily, he was preoccupied by Bo'sun.

"You're fully aware of the others."

Nikki completed a full half circle, rounding Jack from a safe distance and stopping once they were facing. He was smiling now, truly smiling, but it didn't last long and melted once their eyes met.

She needed to ask, for her own sanity although there was no doubt he would lie to her, or at least bend the truth to suit him. "What are you planning Jack?"

Jack stilled, pursing his lips and sweeping his eyes over her form. "Why didn't you tell your dear Hector?" So he had noticed her noticing him, no wonder he was smug.

Nikki started to laugh, but her face was tainted with fatigue. She was fighting a loosing battle, that's how it felt. Ever since they had started getting closer to freedom, she had felt it slipping further and further away, like sand between her finger tips.

As she forced a smile, Jack could see it was hurting her. The lines in his forehead deepened as he frowned and watched the woman he knew once just as a young girl, scowl and shake her head. "I refuse to play this game of back and forth with you Jack. I asked you first."