XIII. All Good Things

The door to the cabin cabin swung open, slamming against one of the chests inside of the cabin and making the whole deck quiver. For a moment each member of the crew from young lad to veteran stopped to await their Captain and experienced the consequences of his vile mood but then, when the woman appeared, they stiffened.

"You really are a slimy bilge rat!" Nicolette did not stop, nor did she slow. The words were called out over her shoulder to an invisible figure still hiding in the shadows as she rounded the stairs and quickly ascended, going towards the helm.

Gibbs, who was holding the Pearl steady on that previously delightful morning froze when she appeared near him, fighting to keep his eyes on the horizon. It was as if she was Medusa and he was afraid to be turned into stone, he never once even glanced her way.

Below them, a half dressed Jack finally stumbled out of the cabin, shouting blindly at the empty main deck and tucking the ends of his shirt into his breeches. "At least I'm not a wound up, pompous strumpet!" Opening his eyes, he did a double take at the half a dozen men watching him before snarling and quickly glancing around for her. He caught a glance of her boot and scowled, skipping to follow her up to his, HIS, helm.

Nic was awaiting him, arms crossed tightly over her chest and one foot tapping out a quick, irritating rhythm. When he came into view, she scoffed. "Me! Ha! You are..." There were no words for what he was. How on earth had she forgot this part of his vile personality? The part which made her skin itch and crawl with how irritated he made her, the part which genuinely made her want to kill him, oh how she would love to kill him. "I'm not the one who knows the entire population of whores in each port across this wretched world!"

Jack suddenly stopped and stilled apart from the ever present gentle sway which made his look like his bones were melting. The anger melted from his eyes and in its place rose amusement. Why is gods name was he now grinning at her?

"Jealous love?"

That did it. It was confirmed, Jack Sparrow was a mule, a drunken stubborn dirty mule.

Nic tapped for a moment, perhaps two, and then finally snapped. With quick steps she crossed the deck to stand toe to toe with Jack - smirk suddenly gone. "What is wrong with you!"

She rose a hand, reeling it back to slap him but when it came to release it she couldn't. She was too mad and slapping him would not be enough. The mere thought of cocking her pistol was more satisfying than a stupid slap.

So, in the most chilling and womanly way possibly, she regretfully stomped her foot, huffed and stormed off back to the cabin.

Jack was still visibly wincing when the whole ship practically shook with the force with what she closed the door.

The woman...that woman...

When all was silent, Jack risked peeping an eye open. He had heard her go but one could never be too sure.

As he sighed in relief, Gibbs looked towards his younger Captain with a queer curiosity. "Trouble Captain?"

"No!" Jack snapped, standing straight to attention. It was not until Gibbs smirked that he tried to relax his frame and practise the art of nonchalant. "No, but how about we make land with a bit of haste eh?"

"Aye Captain." Gibbs nodded eagerly as Jack jabbed a thumb back towards the spot of land they were nearing. Tortuga. God knows if there was one place for them both to let off some steam it was Tortuga...

He turned away from Gibbs fully then and stared at the shaded slither which may bring him mercy. Perhaps he could escape to see a woman who wouldn't bite his head off...surely there was a tavern on that island which Nikki had zero chance of walking into? Or perhaps just a dark corner, but what was the point.