XV. Broken

The second he stepped foot into the large tavern hall, Jack felt like he was stepping back into a dream. He hadn't been here in a long time, primarily because there was simply no good reason too. The Ol' Sailor was a bit too far out from the docks for his liking and the rum was more expensive.

The first time he had stumbled in was because he wanted a rare quiet night after a fishy ordeal he had just survived through, and he was trying to come to terms with his new fate. He hadn't wanted a woman or a fight, just drink a some sturdy ground for an hour. That was the evening he met Nicolette Barker. She served his a rum, noticed his conflicting emotion as they crossed his face one by one over and over again and asked him what his story was.

After that night his visits to that tavern were plainly for reasons surrounding her, he had been adamant to 'woo' her on each occasion and each time she backed away from his company he became more in need of it. Then he got her and then she moved on, and after all of the drama with the Mutiny, what was the point in coming back to watch a different girl in a similar dress pour his rum and hold nor the slightest bit of fascination for his stories. He didn't want to be reminded of a mutinous wench, nor had he wanted to sit and expect her presence for an entire night.

Now on this evening, Jack Sparrow had not decided to venture back to said tavern to try and find said strumpet...no. He simply fancied a change of scenery while his crew went to their usual watering hole.

"Rum..." Jack grunted as he planted himself right at the bar, barely lifting an eye to the nearby barmaid.

"Looking for someone Captain?" He winced, not really feeling in the mood for battling with old friends, however something about this deep voice rose intrigue. For it wasn't that of a sailors, but a woman's.

He looked up and towards the plumpish woman paying him the unwanted attention. She was older, a bit rounded and red in the face but he still recognised the attractive young woman she had once been. "Imelda." She was smiling at him, but it didn't quite reach her eyes and Jack forced a welcoming grin, ignoring her question with a complete understanding to what she was referring to. Her, the woman. "Been a long time."

The woman considered this statement with a raised brow. "Aye, that it has. Doubt you remember the last words I spoke to you."

Jack opened his mouth a couple of times, bobbing like a fish before answering. "I believe it had something to do with me choking on a certain part of myself as you beat the living day lights out my eyes should I hurt your wee lass...yes?" Jack's eyes rolled almost to the back of his head as he recalled that lovely day Imelda had held him up against the wall of her bar and threatened his manhood. Was as pretty as a dream. Then his eyes grew dark and serious and he fixed the woman with a look as a tanker was placed in front of him. "She's called in then?"

"Told me all about your last little adventure. Got to say, I almost feel like I owe you thanks for bringing her back. But she did seem quite bitter Jack, how come you left her here?"

"I-" A baffled looked crossed his face although he had been arguing with himself whether that was true or not for the past month. "I did not. She-" Imelda fixed him with a stern look that was sure to make his shut it before he condemned himself to previously referenced beating. "Is she here or not?" He huffed.

Imelda sighed, finally allowing her shoulders to drop and relaxing from the battle like stance she had taken with Jack. "Not tonight I'm afraid, haven't seen her in at least a week."

"A week eh?" Jack muttered, taking a sip and allowed a pause. He had to be subtle, for the sakes of his pride. So after a slow count to then, he asked as if simply curious, "Where's she staying?"

Imelda saw right through him, had since the day he walked in and watched his get all smitten with her best lass. He acted bold, but even back then when he were nowt but a young lad Imelda could see it. Seemed as though her girl still held whatever it was over him too.