Slowing Down

One of the powers I find useful is slowing down time around me,it gives me an advantage because everyone else sees I speed up, almost like a speedster. Unlike a speedster, however, I can only hold it for a couple seconds, less than a minute even, which I understand. After all, I'm slowing down time for the entire universe, except for me. I've been practicing to automatically slow down time as a reflex, although I think mine and Brandon's idea of shooting me in the head is pretty dumb. I'm still alive, but I think we need to find a non-lethal alternative to spike my adrenaline levels.

"There's still pizza in here?" Brandon asked.
"Yeah it's been there for a few days" I replied.

Brandon then opened the box and smelled the reek of spoiled pizza
"More than a few days"

"I can reset the pizza to make it younger, but it might do something bad. Can you check the timeline what will happen if we refresh this?" I asked

"Hmmm... let's see" Brandon replied as he focused on checking the flow of time.

"Nope, the timeline is still intact"

"That's great!" I said as I reverted the pizza back to its fresh-from-the-oven state.

While walking on the way to the gym, we saw Patty.

"Patty!" I said
"Tyler, didn't expect to see you here" she replied
"I live here"

"Oh... right"
"How about you, what are you doing here?" I asked
"I'm supposed to do night shift later but I woke up, so I walked around looking for things to do" she replied. "Who is he by the way?" Pointing to Brandon.
"Oh this is Brandon, he used to work in Utopia he started the time machine project"
"Hello there" Brandon shyly greeted, and Patty smiled.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

"So, we're going to the gym today, why don't you come with us?" I suggested. "Doesn't sound bad" she said. We walked to the gym.

While Patty changes (I lended her my sister's clothes left when she stayed), Brandon and I talked.

"Patty, she works in Utopia right?"
"Yeah we work in the same lab"
"Do you think you two could make an appeal that I get my job back?"
"Actually, I've been thinking about not doing that"
"Wait, why?"
"If we tell them about my abilities, they'll do everything they can to leash me. Test me, control what I can or cannot do, it's not safe man"
"Then what will I do to get my job back?"
"I'm thinking... maybe you might apply for a job that's not utopia. The three of us and Dr. Pirkek always hanging out together in the building, that might raise suspicions."

Patty finally came back. "I'm not really sure what to do"
"It's alright just do our routine you'll be fine". We spent 3 hours in the gym.

"Thanks for spending time with me" Patty said.
"No worries" I said
"It's nice meeting you Brandon"
"You too"

We walked home and rested.

We woke up to a rumbling sound, first a thunder then the ground started trembling.

"I got an alert on my app" I said
"Me too" replied Brandon.
"It says there are streaks of lightning passing through the roads in the whole world, watch the news for more info"

We turned on the television. It seems to be going to our city every 50 seconds. We counted and before it becomes 50, we teleported to the streak's predicted location, then slowed time down to almost freezing. We saw a man running, and we chased him.

"A speedster?" I said
"Looks like it" Brandon replied. "Can you hold time like this longer?"
"I'll try but I don't think my body can adjust to it"
"You don't need to. Drink this, it's caffeine with glucose, also when it reaches your intestines it will make chemical reactions that will produce oxygen. Your bloodstream will do the rest"