Previously on... The Forbidden Novels

So, it occurred to me that it may have been a while since you've read The Gate, so I will be providing a summary here!

If you haven't read The Gate  yet, then now's the time to do it! It might help you understand what's going on. Or don't read it. I can't tell you what to do.

If you're the judge who got stuck with reading a sequel.... hi. Nice to see you. Sorry I made you judge a sequel, but hey! You have a summary right here!

Whatever brought you here, I'm glad to see you. I hope my recap makes you feel caught up on everything.

Last chance to back out, read The Gate, and then come back.

Still here?

Alright then, let's take a trip back in time.

It's pitch black. Some lady walks into a big office building to announce that she has some important info. The gated community of Atalka, Oregon, is filled with secret Forbidden.

What are the Forbidden, you ask? Good question. The world is crawling with "monsters". All of them have a human and Forbidden form, and something called the Forbidden brand (looks like an F on their skin). When someone is killed by a Forbidden, there's a chance that they'll get resurrected as the Forbidden that killed them. If that person shares similarities with the Forbidden that killed them or is part Forbidden themselves, they're more likely to be resurrected (that's called predispositions). Forbidden are immortal, but usually have a specific weakness.

Did that make sense? It'll make more sense in the book... I think.

The Agency is dedicated to hunting the Forbidden, and Agent Brandon Matthews is in charge of the Atalka case. His mission: go undercover in Atalka for 6 months and find evidence of at least 5 Forbidden living there.

Now let's meet our protagonist!

Lena Matthews is your typical teenage girl who wants to break away from her father's misogynistic opinions and become an agent in her own right. She's relentless, determined, and loyal to the Agency and her family. She's excited to move to Atalka and prove herself to her parents and her older brother, Finn.

When the Matthews arrive in Atalka, they meet the strange and charismatic Makaya, who's in charge of security at Atalka.

Next, let's meet Jane-Anne Pearce, a girl with a lot of passion and no direction. She's someone with good intentions and really bad luck. Jane-Anne meets Lena, and the two kind of get along.

Meanwhile, something's afoot outside the gate. A mysterious Forbidden kills an innocent boy named Joshua Rodriguez, and Makaya covers it up!

Blissfully unaware of what happened, Lena goes to Atalka Academy and meets Carter, Rowan, and a very ugly side of Jane-Anne. Apparently she had outed Carter to the school, and had suffered a traumatic attack in her own house last year.

We don't know what's going on with Jane-Anne, but Kiara and Taylor seem to make her act weird...

After rescuing Carter from drowning, Lena meets Jessica, a nurse with a complicated past. Apparently Lena looks like her deceased daughter, so things are a little awkward. But Carter and Lena are getting along, so that's good news!

Soon after, the Forbidden killer strikes again! This time, it doesn't work out. Jerome is saved by a mysterious werewolf. But where did his friend Aaliyah go?

Back at school, Lena runs into a maybe love interest Jacob Wilde, who used to be on a TV show called Spellbound. Apparently this upsets Jane-Anne, and she and Kiara start some rumors about Lena making out with a stranger in the auditorium. Lena and Jane-Anne aren't the only budding rivalry. Carter and Finn get into a fistfight over... well, over nothing basically. Finn was just being a jerk.