𝐢𝐢. finally meeting

"my heart has started to separate."

۵

it was like any other day, walking the city at night with no particular reason. the city is seemingly more lively during the day, whereas at night everyone looks as if they're emotionless. there's people having phone calls that look distressed, people sitting by themselves on benches, but one person caught my eye.

a boy, about my age, sitting in between a café and a liquor store. he's sitting there cuddled up in a worn out blanket with a backpack next to him. there's something about him that i'm drawn to.

he's homeless, i presume, and for whatever reason i decide to make my way towards him.

as i approach him he looks up at me and sighs, "what do you want?"

"oh hi, um, i'm harry. i just wanted to talk to you. don't ask why, i don't know why myself." i looked at him, and he stared back with a blank face, probably wanting me to continue.

"anyway, can i sit with you?" i asked, and he looked at me before hesitating and replying with "yes."

a smiled crept its way onto my face as i sat next to him.

"so i introduced myself, what about you, do you have a name?"

"zayn." he muttered.

"zayn? that's a pretty name." he gave me a small smile and mumbled 'thank you' before looking down.

i took a minute to take in his features. i will admit, he's quite stunning. he must have caught me staring because he looked up at me with confusion. i blushed and looked away, i just met him, and i already embarrassed myself.

"so zayn," i liked saying his name, i'll make sure to say it as much as possible. "what is someone like you doing here late at night?" i inquired.

i already assumed he was homeless, but i wanted to make sure before jumping to conclusions.

"you don't already know? well, i'm a prostitute and also homeless." he mumbled shamefully.

oh. i expected him being homeless but not him being a prostitute. of course, there's nothing wrong with that but i definitely didn't think that was the case.

"oh. how old are you?" i asked, ignoring his previous comment.

"17, you?"

i smiled and looked at him. "same."