xi. giant dogs

CHAPTER ELEVEN:GIANT DOGS

CHAPTER ELEVEN:
GIANT DOGS

■ ■ ■ ■ ■

MAE'S FIRST INSTINCT WHEN she woke the next day was to run as far and as fast as she could. Emily's living room was empty, but she could hear voices murmuring out on the porch so she knew that the boys weren't far. She slowly sat up as a familiar voice -- Embry's -- got louder through the whispers, the blanket someone had placed over her slipping off her shoulder. Her neck still hurt, she deduced as she swallowed and felt the familiar sensation of a marble hand pressing down on her throat. But her head wasn't pounding as much, and it didn't hurt to move anymore. She took this as an opportunity to stand, inching closer to the half-closed door to hear what they were saying.

The last thing she had said to them was 'vampire.' Did they think she was crazy? Hell, how had she even ended up at Emily's house to begin with? There was no way Maggie and Kim could've carried her all the way there.

Speaking of Maggie. "We have to tell her," she heard the girl insist over the arguing boys. "Guys, she saw Victoria. Not to mention she saw you. It's not fair to keep her in the dark anymore."

"It's Embry's choice, Maggie," Sam said with a sigh. "And he doesn't--"

"Who cares what he wants?" she cut in, her frustration evident. Through a quick peek through the window, Mae glimpsed Maggie standing beside Paul with a scowl on her face. Sam just watched her impassively, encouraging her anger. "Embry, I'm sorry, but you've had time and now look what's happened. Paul told me when he needed to, why can't you do the same for her?"

Embry just stayed quiet, his head bowed. Mae couldn't see his face as his back was facing her, but Jacob could. He stood up straight as he caught the flash of her hair disappearing behind the door.

"Guys, we've got company," he muttered just loud enough for Mae to hear.

She stumbled back as the door swung open but it was no use. The group stared back at her with wide-eyes, a mix of emotions on their faces. Sam and Jacob seemed unimpressed but she didn't really care what they thought of her listening in. Maggie and Emily were trying their best to smile at her, but Mae could see through it without trying. As for Embry, he refused to look her in the eyes as he finally turned in her direction. His hair was a mess, and Mae found herself wanting to reach out and fix it. She probably would have had Sam not suddenly moved towards her.

"Get away from me," she snapped, and fruitlessly attempted to run past him.

"Maeve, we need to talk," he insisted as he latched onto her arm and pulled her back. Mae shook her head, yanking her arm away as he forced her into the centre of the circle the group had formed. She didn't like the way they stared at her, like some sort of cult about to initiate her into their ranks. "This isn't negotiable."

Panicked, she clutched her heart with an over-exaggerated wince, and swayed on her feet like she was about to pass out. "Oh, would you look at that? I don't feel too good."