v. early mornings

CHAPTER FIVE:EARLY MORNINGS

CHAPTER FIVE:
EARLY MORNINGS

■ ■ ■ ■

THE SUNRISE WAS PARTICULARLY beautiful Monday morning. Mae had risen just as the sky began to fade from black to orange, gravitating out to the porch with her favourite knitted blanket around her shoulders and a mug of hot chocolate cupped between her hands. The breeze was fresh against her skin, but Mae didn't mind the feeling, eyes locked on the horizon even when Lina came out to sit with her.

"You're up early," Mae noted after a moment of silence, gaze slowly darting to Lina's face over the rim of her mug. 

"Mum decided to wash her hair this morning," Lina grumbled as she leant back against the porch swing, the chair swaying underneath them. "The bloody hair dryer woke me up."

Mae began to giggle but stopped when Lina's hand swatted at her arm, "Hey, at least you get to witness this beautiful sunrise. Isn't it stunning?"

"Oh, it's magnificent," Lina rolled her eyes. "Just life-changing."

"Oi, I don't appreciate the sarcasm," Mae scoffed. She finished the last of her drink, sighing at the now cold and empty cup. "We should head inside. Dad was starting breakfast when I came out here."

Speaking of James, he was just beginning to stack freshly cooked toast onto a plate when the girls made their way into the kitchen, Mae depositing her mug into the cluttered sink before hopping up onto the bench beside her dad, "Morning, father dearest."

"Good morning, second-favourite daughter of mine," he quipped. The once serious expression he wore on his face changed into a smirk as Mae gaped at him, holding a hand to her chest in shock. "You want eggs with your toast, drama queen?"

"Yes please," she muttered. Once James had filled her plate sky-high, Mae dropped down from the counter, accepting the plate with wide eyes. "Oh my lord, I'm in food heaven." She dropped into an empty seat across from Lina, who had a modest plate of buttered toast before her, eyes raking over a textbook she had propped against their fruit bowl. Mae rolled her eyes, but chose not to mark a snide remark as she dug into her food, sighing through a mouth full of toast as she declared, "It's official, this is the best food I've ever had."

"Maeve, you say that every morning," Kira scoffed as she entered the room, in the midst of fixing her hoop earrings. She was dressed in her usual work attire; a charcoal grey pencil skirt over a pair of black stockings, a matching blazer and a white blouse tucked in at the waist. "And don't speak with your mouth full."

"Yes ma'am," Mae made sure to say as she took an extra large bite of her toast, smirking when Kira just wrinkled her nose in distaste.