xvii. too close

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN:TOO CLOSE

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN:
TOO CLOSE

■ ■ ■ ■ ■

A HANGOVER WAS BAD enough on its own, but a hangover while living with Allison Cooper and Lina Song as her sisters was a brutal combination for Maeve Cooper. The first thing Mae noticed as she opened her eyes was the bright light that shined in through the open curtains. She let out a pained groan, rolling over to bury her face into her pillow. Every movement hurt, and for a moment, Mae longed for sleep to overtake her again, to bury down the unwanted memories that were quickly resurfacing. But as the sound of crashing pots and pans drifted down the hallway and through her cracked-open door, Mae knew she wouldn't be getting any more sleep that morning. So she pushed herself up, massaging her throbbing temples as she inched out of bed and towards the kitchen.

"Look who's up," Allison snickered as she appeared.

Lina glanced over her shoulder briefly before spinning back around, her head bowed low to stare at her food. Mae furrowed her brows before dropping into the seat beside her, ignoring Lina's confused eyes on the side of her head as she reached for the pot of coffee on the table. Mae just wanted breakfast and a good cup of caffeine. She didn't care about her sister's petty bullshit right now.

With an amused smirk, Allison took a seat opposite them. "So," she began. "How are you feeling?"

"Like shit," Mae deadpanned. "And I've got a headache because someone was smashing plates together this morning."

"Oh, sweetie, I don't think that's why you've got a headache."

"Shhh."

For a while, they sat in silence, the only sound being the scraping of their knives and forks on crockery. Lina was pretending to read the paper so she didn't have to entertain a conversation with either sister. Allison was too busy shovelling down her food to notice, while Mae sat with her head leant against the wall, hazy eyes watching as Lina flipped the pages. She only managed to eat a quarter of her plate before her stomach began to whine in protest, forcing her to hand the rest over to an eagle-eyed Allison. With a groan, Mae pushed out of her seat, weakly searching through the kitchen drawers for where she knew Kira usually kept the paracetamol.

"Looking for something?" Allison smirked as she came over to put their dishes in the sink. Just the clank of glass on marble made Mae wince.

"What do you think?" she grumbled, voice thick with frustration.

"We've run out, you know," Allison informed her after a moment, openly laughing when Mae let out a defeated groan and rested her head in her hands. "I looked for you last night and there was none."

"Oh, God. I think I might die."

"Don't worry," Allison said, gently ruffling her hair when Mae just made a sound of dismay. "I'll pick some up in Port Angeles today."