xvi. good as gone

CHAPTER SIXTEEN:GOOD AS GONE

CHAPTER SIXTEEN:
GOOD AS GONE

■ ■ ■ ■ ■

"SO," ALLISON BEGAN AS she and Mae trekked the sands of First Beach. Several fires burned bright on the edge of the water, surrounded by teenagers from Forks and La Push alike. Mae spotted Embry and the others gathered around the one furthest from the rest of the crowd and quickly lead her sister towards them with an eagerness that caught Allison's interest. "Which one is your boyfriend? Or girlfriend? The girls are pretty, too."

Mae rolled her eyes and nudged Allison's arm sharply, huffing when she just laughed and earned a shove back. "I'm not dating any of them," she insisted. But Allison wasn't having it.

"Is it him?" she asked, pointing at... Paul Lahote. Mae's nose immediately scrunched up but Allison didn't notice, adding, "He looks like your type. Talk, dark and handsome."

"No way," Mae scoffed, feeling sick at just the thought. She and Paul would kill each other if the two were in a relationship. Paul was hot-headed and Mae knew all the ways to get under his skin. It was a deadly combination. "He's annoying and I'm friends with his girlfriend."

"Oh," Allison frowned as she spotted Paul kissing Maggie's cheek. "Then who? Dad said you had a boyfriend."

Mae's mood visibly soured. Her footsteps slowed, prompting Allison's to do the same. "That's because Lina ran her mouth," Mae said darkly, arms crossing over her chest. She was glad the girl hadn't wanted to go tonight, making up the excuse of studying just to stay home and talk to Emmett and Rose. It made things less awkward, and call her selfish, but Mae was glad she got to have Allison to herself. Despite what their dad had said, three days together wasn't nearly enough.

Sensing the younger girl's spiralling thoughts, Allison linked her arm through Mae's and tugged her the rest of the way over to the group, saying teasingly, "So there's someone for her to tattle on then." It wasn't a question, but it did bring a bashful smile back onto Mae's face. Allison returned the look with pride. "At least point it out to me when you introduce him. You know, a batman signal or something."

Mae rolled her eyes, "Like that's not obvious."

"What's obvious?" Embry asked as the sisters reached the group. Immediately, Mae flushed, visibly put-off by the question. Embry grinned and nudged her arm, a movement that Allison keenly tracked with realisation. "You good, Mae?"

"Yeah," she stammered. "Allison was just being dumb."

"Hey," Allison frowned at her, but Mae was glad to have the attention on her instead.

"You're Allison," Kim gasped with uncensored glee. Allison chuckled and nodded, and it struck the group then, just how much she looked like their friend. The Cooper sisters had their mother's smile through-and-through, like sunlight poured from every tooth. That, and they pretty much dressed the same, and reacted around each other like a well-oiled machine. Where Mae laughed, Allison followed. Wherever one went, so did the other. It was nothing like Mae and Lina, but it was a good kind of difference. "Sorry, that sounded weird. I just mean that Mae's told us a lot about you. I'm Kim."