xxvii. side of sorrow

CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN:SIDE OF SORROW( trigger warning: graphic depictions of blood and gore )

SIDE OF SORROW
( trigger warning: graphic depictions of blood and gore )

■ ■ ■ ■ ■

THE HOUSE WAS JUST as they’d left it. Carlisle, Esme and Emmett were yet to return but Mae couldn’t decide if this was a good thing or not. She knew it scared Lina, though. The door to the room she’d been sharing with her partners was firmly shut when Mae, Jacob and Jia wandered inside. Mae knew it bothered Rosalie too, but the blonde girl was trying her best to focus on Bella, to keep herself from closing down. Mae could hear her voice disapproving of something that Bella was saying in the living room. Jacob followed the noise, smiling to himself when he heard Finley speak up in defence of his cousin and a bemused Jia taking Rosalie’s side as she ran on ahead. Mae decided not to join them, peering up at the landing for a moment before trudging her way upstairs.

There was a faint murmur of voices coming from the other side of the nearest door. Lina paused the show she was watching as Mae knocked then sheepishly crept into the room.

“You’re back,” she said, the colour draining from her face. “How’d it go?”

Mae hesitated. Already, the past few hours had blurred together, leaving her tired but alert, waiting with bated breath. “How we hoped it would. I think. Guess we’ll know soon, though.”

Lina was quiet for a moment. Vaguely, Mae noticed her fist shaking as she clutched the television remote between her fingers. Then, just when she thought her sister was going to burst into tears and Mae would have to do the whole awkward comfort thing, she tucked her knees up to her chest which left a space on the black leather couch beside her. “Wanna sit?”

Flicking her gaze to the documentary Lina was watching, Mae shrugged. “Sure.” 

Lina unfroze the television and the voice from before started to list off facts that went in one ear and out the other. Mae couldn’t for the life of her figure out what it was about, but it caught Lina’s attention again -- or it seemed to, at least. Just when Mae had started to relax, sinking into the folds of the couch with the intention of disappearing into her head, Lina suddenly shut off the television which enveloped the room in shadow.

“What’re you doing?” she groaned, turning her head away when Lina then switched on a lamp. She just wanted to sleep, to pretend for a little bit longer. The image of Embry’s face was etched into the canvas of her eyelids. It quickly faded as she opened her eyes to be confronted by the dim yellow light now stretching from corner to corner.

“I’ve made a decision,” Lina declared.

Mae frowned at her. “Okay.”