63 | The Eagle's Flight

GIANITA

Gigi thought she was going to die.

It was unfathomable what was happening to her body. She was spending her afternoon alone taking a leisurely stroll around the garden—the doctor said light exercises would be good for the child—when it happened. Then she was rushed to her old bedroom, having a shorter distance than their shared bedroom, until she was bound to the bed writhing in pain.

At first, she had a lot of cramping under her belly. Then her water broke and that's when the real pain started. Her inner muscles started to tighten and squeeze, which got worse and worse until it peaked and became almost unbearable. As if it was the worst menstrual cramps she could ever imagine, then have her insides twisted, pulled, and squeezed; only to have someone come and stab her in the stomach.

There was no use to screaming. She had witnessed the mistresses and her sister-in-laws yelling and screaming during childbirth, thinking it was rather unbecoming and would not help with the pain. So she would stay here, exhale, keeping herself calm and let nature take its course until everything subsided.

It reminded her of getting caught in the ocean wave during their honeymoon. It was powerful and scary. She could try to fight it, swallow more water and drown, or let go and wait until the wave released her.

Keeping her eyes closed, she slowly replayed what she'd practised with her doctor. Breathe deeply through the nose as a contraction starts and pause. Exhale slowly through the mouth, focusing on one physical item, such as a photograph or her husband.

Her husband!

Where was he? Right, he was still finishing his job in Seol-il and wasn't coming home for another week; her supposed due date. It wasn't Cal's fault for not being here, the baby was coming to the world early. Her eyes watered as she looked at her surroundings. It felt like she reverted back to the beginning; alone in this room, her husband nowhere in sight. Another contraction hit her and she clenched the bedcover as her handmaidens continued to wipe the sweat off her forehead.

Cal...

She needed him. She needed Cal. She could be dying.

Cal... Cal!

"Mother!" she heard Junior's voice from outside the door. It was open, but it seemed he was being barred from entering. "Mother! ...Is she okay? I have to see her!"

"Your Highness, it's not right for you to be in here," the midwife said.

"What are you talking about? It's my mother! Stand aside!"

Junior was having classes this afternoon, so someone must've told him and he came all the way here. And he might've heard her painful cries from the other side of the wall. Poor child. She wanted nothing more than to rush to his side and tell him she was alright.

But what if she really died, like Isleen? It was totally plausible. Who would look after her children? What would happen to Cal? Would he succumb to the darkness once more?

No, she told herself. She couldn't die. They were just starting to be happy together as a complete, wholesome family. She would give birth to this child and survive.

"Why is it so quiet?" Junior was getting agitated. "Let me in, I'm ordering you!"

"Your Highness, I'm afraid you wouldn't be able to take it—"

"I can handle it, I promise!" he screamed. "Please, just let me be by her side till my father arrives!"

The midwife finally stood aside and Junior sprinted to the bedside with a tear-stricken face.