41 | The Scarlet Woman - Part II

(Italics are for flashbacks.)

.·。.·゜·༺♥༻ ·゜·。.

Before long, Cal and Olivia rejoined the guests. Their engagement and soon-to-be-wedding were still a heated topic amongst the society, they were all curious to see the person who would reign as the empress one day. Cal was relieved that talking about it had at least made Olivia cheerful and happy, forgetting the previous nuisance.

"...So, for now, my family remains home in Palmerston Estate before I pick them up to join me in Emraullt," Olivia said, proudly. She was keen to show off their preparations for the wedding. "We just bought this beautiful chateau near the capital, it's so divine."

"So, where are you going for the honeymoon?" asked the Earl of Comtois.

"Oh, I would like us to go abroad for sure. My father has prepared a yacht to take us to sail around the world—"

"Praja," Cal answered readily, though then he realized he hadn't even discussed this with Olivia.

"Prajanagara? In the Eastern continent?" The old man looked at him wide-eyed. As Cal nodded in reply, he let out a stifled laugh. "Isn't that too far? What if you get lost?"

"I wouldn't be, I happen to be in a good friendship with the King!" denied Cal, laughing his concerns away. "I've been to Praja once when I was young, experiencing its beauty in real life exceeded the ones shown in photographs. I think this would be a great opportunity to visit Praja again... and the infamous Nusa Dewata Island."

"Oh, I've been to Nusa Dewata," replied the Duchess of Reisse, butting into their conversation. "The whole place was so picturesque you can agree that the island itself is hand-crafted by gods."

"I didn't know that Dewata was a part of Praja," said Olivia.

"You barely travel, dear? Lucky you, your fianceé has a good taste in destinations." The Duchess laughed. "I heard that you can plant anywhere in Praja, you know? Anytime. You can just stick a plank of wood to the ground and it'll grow a sprout."

"I did hear that it's sunny there throughout the year. Live in this country and you wouldn't know there was a sun," The Earl joked, he lived in the north coast. The Imperial Family was lucky, the capital was located in the south where it was sunniest.

Cal only laughed along with comments. It wasn't fairly known that he held a secret fascination with Praja. A country untouched by winter, a place where the flower blooms and the crops flourished throughout the year... While it might be unlikely to happen during his father's reign when it was time for him to rule he was sure they would be able to do something with Praja.

The Duchess of Reisse monopolized the couple with her talks about Praja till the Earl excused himself to get some refreshments.

"Your Highness, I would like you to meet my niece, Madame Belshaw. Her husband was the late Sir Jacques Belshaw," she directed them to a lavishly dressed guest standing near the champagne table.

As Madame Belshaw promptly turned to face them with a drink in her gloved, long-fingered hand, Cal felt shivers run through his body. No, he never forgot a face; and definitely not this one in particular.

It was summer a couple of years ago. He was spending a weekend in La Casaserpia and Adejola had invited a number of friends; one of them was a certain rich widow who was known for her numerous liaisons. She claimed to be a Ballerina during her maiden days, which explained why she was so flexible.