Finale

Did I make the most of loving you?
So many things we didn't do.
Did I give you all my heart could give?
When these endless, lonely days are through,
I'll make the most of loving you

.·。.·゜·༺♥༻ ·゜·。.

Gigi adorned herself in front of a full-length mirror, adjusting the fresh flowers on her side-swept hair. The summer tour was over and they were going to hold a private second wedding at the Vasilione beach they visited for their honeymoon almost a year ago, before leaving for Praja. She had made herself a new dress; a wedding dress that she finally got to choose, designed and modified on her own.

At the previous wedding, she had worn a Prajan dress with a tight white bodice and batik frock, with her hair neatly coiffed in a traditional updo; a proper display to fit the dress code between the two countries. Perfect, ideal, restrictive. Now, she donned a chantilly lace dress with a sheer, flowing skirt. With the Prajan patterns embroidered in Angletonian lace, it honoured the beauty of both countries, while also staying true to herself.

Today, she didn't have to be the Empress; just Gigi.

She made a point to not wear a veil but, loving how it went with the dress, the designer thoughtfully turned it into a cape.

"Junior, do I look okay?" Gigi looked over to Junior, readjusting her cape.

"Are you kidding? He won't be able to breathe." He hopped off his chair and ran up to give her a hug. She pinned a flower on his cream-coloured suit, the shade of the beach sand. After a long discussion, she was finally able to convince Cal that Junior should be her man-of-honour and flower boy. He'd still have Philippe to be his best man.

Syena gurgled in her nursemaid's arms, sucking on her own flower crown.

They came down to the beach in the afternoon. Junior had to pause from scattering the flower petals to stop his sister from eating them, prompting Cal to intervene.

As Gigi came out of the cottage, she was greeted by the bright blue sky. The sun radiated warmly against her skin, and the symphonic sound of the sea waves made up for the music that accompanied her walking down the beach. Cal was standing on the shore in a pearl white suit and coal black trousers; gleaming as bright as the shimmering light that touched the ripples.

Beside him was Philippe; his best man and also the one to officiate the wedding. On the opposite of them, Junior, fiddling with Syena who was tirelessly trying to grab his flower pin.

"Cal and Gigi, it's an honour for me to share today's wonderful occasion with you, and a greater one to assist you to renew your bonds, not only as royalty but also as unique individuals," Philippe began. "Please join hands."

"Gianita, I pledged many things to you on our wedding day," Cal began, hands trembling inside Gigi's grasp. "To give you my loyalty, devotion, respect and honour through trials and triumphs. But today, I vow to give you my love; giving you my mind, body and soul. Right here and right now, I vow to spend my whole life making the most of loving you."

"Cal, whilst it was by the odds that I walked into our union, loving you is something I decide." Gigi held her breath, unable to hide the emotions in her voice. "As I have given you my hand to hold and my life to keep. To be by your side as your companion in life, and you mine. I chose you, and I continue to choose you; now and forevermore."

"It is with pleasure that I conclude the ceremony of renewing the vows that bind you as husband and wife," Philippe pronounced. "You may kiss."

In a heartbeat, Cal took her in his embrace and her arms laced around his neck. With a broadening smile and the same fiery look in his copper eyes, mirroring hers, they kissed ardently. Time seemed to slow down, and for a moment they lost themselves. Their lips collided; warm like the summer breeze and strong like the surge of the ocean waves.

Junior cheered loudly at the scene, before suddenly stopping to cover his sister's eyes with both hands.

Soon they headed to the port, boarding the same magnificent steamship that had taken Gigi from Praja to Angletonia for the very first time. Cal took all her wishes very seriously; it would be lovely to celebrate their wedding on this ship.

They waved at Philippe, who had involuntarily accepted his fate. He couldn't come to Praja for having to handle the royal duties in Cal's name; and so he just watched them head into the horizon.

***

"You're my Honeybunch,
Sugarplum,
Pumpy-umpy-umpkin,
You're my Sweetie Pie,

You're my Cuppycake,
Gumdrop,
Snoogums-boogums,
You're the apple of my eye."

Cal sang delightedly to Syena, a lullaby for the little princess. His daughter was still wide-awake, cooing along to the song and trying to imitate her father, not showing any signs of weariness.

"Princess, how have you become so tireless? It's bedtime, why don't you join your brother in dreamland and let me and your mother have some fun, hmm?" He scattered kisses all over the baby's face and belly.

Syena babbled, attempting to meet her father's question with an answer.

"She slept a lot when we first started sailing, it's all coming back to her now," Gigi sighed, snaking an arm around him as they sat together in their private bedroom inside the ship.

"Perhaps, if she's given more milk," he nudged her over to Gigi.

"No, it would not help," she giggled. "Why can't she stay here for the night?"

"It's our wedding night, hon."

Gigi laughed musically, snugly resting her chin on top of his shoulder. Tonight would be their first attempt at lovemaking after she'd given birth. It did oddly feel like their second wedding night. Last year he dismissed her in their wedding bed for Junior, now he wanted to clear their baby girl out of the way; how things changed.

"Well," she smirked, rubbing her palms over his side. "If you could lull her to sleep..."

"It is a tough challenge." He nuzzled against Syena's cheek. "But I'll take it. It was tougher with Junior; I could take on this little one!"

Syena flailed around enthusiastically, eagerly taking on her father.

The song continued as the ship continued to Praja, and into the starry night sky.

"And I love you so
And I want you to know
That I'll always be right here

And I love to sing
Sweet songs for you
Because
You are so dear"

.·。.·゜·༺♥༻ ·゜·。.

***

THANK YOU NOTE

Hello! Meri here, and... wow, I finished my first book!

I would like to thank each of you who has followed through Gigi, Cal Sr. and Cal Jr.'s journey and made it to this very chapter; there are seriously no words that could express my gratitude.

Love, M.