•24•

Content warning: unreality, blood, vomiting, graphic violence

What?

That didn't make sense. Why were you in a forest? Was this a dream?

From your position on the ground you moved your head side-to-side, looking around. You were alone on a patch of dry pine needles, surrounded by numerous thin, spindly trees. Way up above you a thin canopy formed, the very tops lush with healthy needles. A full moon in the sky illuminating the gauzy fog that weaved gently between the trunks.

This had to be a dream. You had just fallen asleep in your bed, covers pulled tight to keep out the cold. Now you were here, with your back sore from the hard ground -  and it wasn't even cold. No, this had to be a dream.

Your heartbeat quickened as you realized what a forest dream entailed.

Okay, no, it's fine. Nothing's happened yet, just wake up.

Rising into a sitting position slowly and groaning from the stiffness in your limbs, you pulled your legs in and placed your forehead on your knees. Eyes closed tight, you willed yourself to wake up.

Wake up. Wake up. Come on, just wake up.

After a minute of feeling nothing changing, you became puzzled. This was a dream... right? Lifting your head, you scrubbed at your face and sighed. You were so tired. Sleep still had its claws in you, making your eyes and limbs heavy and thoughts slow like honey.

If this wasn't a dream, then how was it real life? There was no snow on the ground; in fact, it was even humid. These trees looked nothing like the ones around where you lived. And finally, you had fallen asleep at home, not outside.

"What the hell?" you whispered to yourself. Rubbing at one eye, you let out a yawn. No part of this made sense.

Confused and tired, you stood up and immediately swayed from the headrush. Groaning, you set your hands on your knees. Your ears began to ring; a single high pitched tone produced from your ear drums in response to the change in pressure.

"Ow," you rubbed at the spot between your eyes and the tone disappeared. Standing straight, you once again surveyed your surroundings, feeling more and more disturbed.

Something was off. Really off, considering you had no clue where you were if this was real. If it was a dream, then it was the most realistic. Nothing had popped out at you, the dream hadn't changed yet, and you could feel every breath you took.

Wiping your hand off on your pyjama pants, you decided that you had to leave. Wherever you were wasn't home, and you should be home.

There wasn't anything around you that stood out, and you had no idea which way to go. After a moment of deliberation, you chose a direction and began walking, cradling your head in one hand. Maybe you'd stumble across something recognizable or helpful, like a hiking trail or maybe a lookout tower.

Oogh, your head was so heavy. Rubbing your temples, you tried to quell the pressure just behind your eyes.

It didn't take very long for you to stumble across a path - though it was a narrow animal run rather than a man-made gravel walkway. The run was sinuous and filled with needles, but it was better than nothing. You switched directions to and began following along the trail instead, keeping your eyes open and roaming for any marker.

The single tone returned again as you slowly forged ahead, morphing into a tinnitus-like ringing. It made you realize what was making you feel disturbed, exactly the thing that was off about this whole situation - the forest around you was dead quiet. No wind whispered through the trees. Not a single animal made a sound; no squirrels chittering, or owls hooting, or any animal scrabbling in the branches at all. There was not a single ambient night sound. Just the crunch of pine needles under your bare feet and the laboured hiss of your breathing. A sick feeling spread through your stomach, but you tried to continue nonetheless.