•19•

Content warning: sickness, vomiting, sickness-based hallucinations with blood and violence.

With a gasp you sat bolt upright, then immediately collapsed back into your pillow. Limbs shaking and stomach churning you struggled in your blankets, drenched in sweat and twisted around your legs.

With greater urgency you grit your teeth and leaned over the bed, arms scrambling against the floor of your bedroom. When your hands hit your trashcan, you dragged it closer.

Curling over the edge of the bed, you opened your mouth and vomited straight into the bin. Thank goodness you had just changed the bag.

Gasping for breath, bile filled your mouth with a putrid taste. As the stench hit your nose, you moaned and called out a weak,

"Mom..."

You choked and vomited once more, calling out twice more before your mother finally heard and responded. She opened your door and flicked on the overhead light with urgency.

"What? What is it?"

You cringed away as the light assaulted your eyes, closing them in pain. You could only groan again, and it must have clicked in your mom's head because she came forward to help you up from your hanging perch, supporting you as your legs wobbled.

She walked you to the bathroom and lowered you in front of the toilet, moving the lid up and away. You grabbed the lip with both hands and heaved, the last of your stomach contents spurting into the bowl. The meager water and crackers you had a few hours ago were long gone into your waste basket, along with whatever else you had in your stomach. The only thing left was stomach acid, and it burned the inside of your throat harshly. You coughed weakly at the sensation.

The bowl was cool as you rested your chin on it, too tired and out of it to even feel disgusted as waves of nausea faded in and out, You dry heaved two more times into the toilet as your stomach tried to expel something, anything, from your body into it despite there being nothing left.

Your mother eventually came back, startling you as you registered movement in the corner of your eye. You flinched, which caused your stomach to twinge. You hadn't even noticed she left.

She held a glass of water in one hand and a pillow from your bed in the other. You accepted the pillow first, placing it on the ground beside you before grabbing the cup of water with both hands. You used it to clear your mouth of the aftertaste of puke, swishing and then spitting it weakly into the toilet before turning away and sipping from it slowly. Your mother closed the lid and pressed the lever to flush before leaving the room once more.

You finished the glass despite your weak apprehension. The water would go down in a less than stellar fashion, and it would probably come back up later. But you knew it would disappoint your mom if you didn't finish it, and you needed to stay hydrated.

Setting the glass down on the lid of the toilet you slumped to the floor and curled up into the fetal position with your head resting on the pillow. The air in the bathroom was chilly, and goosebumps raised across your skin as you began to shiver, too worn out to do anything about it.

With the sound of returning footsteps, you opened your eyes a sliver to see your mother returning, this time with towels in her hands.

She urged you away from your resting place despite your protests and laid several towels down around the toilet and your pillow. You crawled back to the space as she then unfolded a thin blanket and laid it over you.

You fall asleep again.

-

You're at your job, stocking books on the shelves. You can't read their titles, the words a jumble of letters and numbers.